Menu

Fun & interesting science for 2nd or 3rd grade???

mommy5

I found out tonight that my almost 8 year old DS is quite upset that we are no longer doing Apologia's Exploring Creation through Astronomy book. We did it all last year and finished it several months back. He LOVED it ... I knew he did but didn't understand how much until he was almost in tears about not doing it anymore. When I asked him what he's loved to learn about he asked me why he can't do that book anymore. He loves me reading to him about science and doing the notebooking. We did very few projects/experiments. He just loves me reading to him and looking at the pictures and creating the little notebook pages. We started Apologia's Zoology this year but only did a few chapters before putting it on hold. It seemed too detailed -- a little bit too difficult maybe for his age (2nd grade)? I'm at a crossroads for what to teach this coming school year (we start in about 2 months).

I'm considering MFW ECC, MFW Adventures, HOD Beyond, HOD Bigger ... up until right now I've just pieced together a mix of curriculum. I felt bad for him ... he hasn't liked history lessons - only science. I know school isn't always fun but I really want to find something he'll enjoy everyday or at least a few times a week.

Have you tried the Let's Read and Find Out About Science books? Most libraries have a collection of them and they are fairly inexpensive to own. They always have an experiment of some sort in the back. Here is an old thread that you might find interesting.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=387175&highlight=let%27s+read+learn+about+science

Just read to them and do an experiment and notebooking page. I know there are well put together curricula that does that (I don't know which) but it's seriously not hard coming up with your own

Also Creekside Learning has an awesome list links for science, math and history living books.

http://fromtherootsup.blogspot.com/p/science-history.html

Thanks for the suggestions! I liked some of the R.E.A.L. Science books when I just looked them up.

Does anyone know if MFW has a lot of science in it? Even if it just reading about science - my son would love it. I'm so confused which direction to head!

Honestly, in hindsight, at that age I'd just go ahead & do the book again if he likes it that much. You could augment it this time with harder things from the library, internet, do more of the activities, etc. We didn't do much formal science at that age, and it didn't hurt mine later when we did, and I think it would make it enjoyable again. You could stipulate that this will be the second and last time.

Honestly, in hindsight, at that age I'd just go ahead & do the book again if he likes it that much. You could augment it this time with harder things from the library, internet, do more of the activities, etc. We didn't do much formal science at that age, and it didn't hurt mine later when we did, and I think it would make it enjoyable again. You could stipulate that this will be the second and last time.

:iagree:

MFW does have science in it like you described - you reading it to him, he can do experiements if he wants to, the science is what you make it. I think he would probably like the whole MFW program because you are doing a lot of the reading and he is making a notebook like you described him enjoying for science. My boys have really enjoyed MFW Adventures, they love the notebooks they have made and show them to people all the time.

I have LHFHG and Beyond and there isn't much science in it. What there is we love. My ds loves Apologia, but you are right it does advance after Astronomy. My dc also love Sonlight Science. A lot of reading and then fun video/science experiments to do that aren't too difficult. Truthfully my kids would be happy with just the video that comes with it and do experiments :)

The nice thing about MFW science is that they also give several ideas in their annotated "book basket" list by week for living science books as well (not just history) to read and help beef up the science as much as you want. It does sound like it would meet that need for you if you also don't mind paying for history/Bible portions.