Menu

ACK!! My blog referrals! I need brain bleach!

I have a dinner blog . . . you know, where I'm trying to learn to cook better and talking about what I cook. So I had a modest little bump in pageviews, and I was looking at my blogger dashboard to see where they were originating.

"Well, look!" I said to my naive little self, "Four pageviews from this referring twitter URL, let me see who's said something about my blog!"

:ack2: :ack2: :eek: :eek: :ack2: :ack2:

I saw the horrifying p*rn photos loading and SHUT that tab as quickly as I could, then went right to "history" and deleted everything from the last hour.

What on earth? What does this mean? Why would that show as a referring URL? And is there something else I need to do beyond clearing my cache/history to sanitize my computer (thinking of grabbing a lysol can . . .)

I've gotten spam comments on my blogs before, you know, the kind where someone says you have the most insightful comment ever, and please to visit my link . . . those I know not to click, and to delete, but this one is new to me.

heeeeellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppp

I don't know what it means but I had that happen to me about a year ago with my blog. I also noticed that one of the pictures of my girls was pulled up in a google image key word search that was not good.:001_huh: I went in and changed the text above the picture. Totally creeped me out too.

Oh yikes, that's worse :grouphug:. I have a family blog, too, and haven't gotten anything like that over there.

Which is why I'm so mystified here. I literally use recipe titles and descriptions of food! And this twitter site had no words (as I saw in the nanosecond it took me to register what that was) just very graphic p*rn photos.

The only keyword search I have on the dashboard is "ricotta rosemary zucchini" which I'm thinkin' is a different audience than the one I'm currently worried about ;)

This has happened to me before. I think it is phishing scams. You click, you get a virus or just an eyefull of nasty.

I used to really freak out about it, but now I try not to worry about it too much. These days, anyone with a camera phone can snap a picture of me or my children, etc. I really don't think the odds of someone going all stalker psycho on my little corner of the blogosphere are very high.

I do use precaution though. I don't mention the town I live in, take pictures of the outside of my home, my car, etc.

Yeah, I get the phishing attempt "comments" with the links, too - but this is just looking at the URL's that are listed as the referral source for my blog visitors.

Oh well - the worst they can get off that one is a thorough inventory of my pots and pans :tongue_smilie:. I *had* posted pics of my dd's baking cupcakes early on, but those posts have no pageviews.

I guess I'll :chillpill: and just not get curious about where my traffic is coming from!

Oh yikes, that's worse :grouphug:. I have a family blog, too, and haven't gotten anything like that over there.

Which is why I'm so mystified here. I literally use recipe titles and descriptions of food! And this twitter site had no words (as I saw in the nanosecond it took me to register what that was) just very graphic p*rn photos.

The only keyword search I have on the dashboard is "ricotta rosemary zucchini" which I'm thinkin' is a different audience than the one I'm currently worried about ;)

Intereesting name for a po*rn star: "Ricotta Rosemary Zucchini" :D:D