Menu

I am making a prime rib roast for the first time ever ....

Yum!!! Just don't overcook it. That is all I know! so:bigear:

OK one thing I do know, you will probably roast it open in the oven, and beef keeps cooking after you take it out of the oven, so take it out a little under done.

Edited by Susan C.

Leave the roast to come to room temperature, about 45 minutes or so. Preheat oven to 450°F. Score the fat on top diagonally criss-cross. Salt and pepper liberally all over. Butter the cut ends (the sides). Roast at 450°F for 15 minutes. This will sear the outside. Now, lower the heat to 325°F and set your timer for 15 minutes. Every 15 minutes, baste the roast with the pan juices. Depending upon the size of your roast, you will want to start checking for done-ness after about an hour (or less) of roasting time.

To check to done-ness use a meat thermometer. If you want medium to medium-rare (and I wouldn't recommend going much more done than that) cook until the roast reaches 120°F internal temperature. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let stand for another 10-15 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise to approximately 130-135°F. For a slightly rarer roast, remove from oven when internal temp is about 110-115°F. You will have to monitor the temperature carefully once you get it to register around 100°F because it tends to rise quickly after that. Don't overcook it. Nothing ruins a prime rib roast like overcooking.

Also, you can throw in some potatoes to roast in the pan, but wait until after the searing phase. The meat juices basted over the potatoes is really, really good.

ETA: After participating in a few recent cooking threads, I'm curious to see what Bill would have to offer on this one. Bill? You have some cooking guru-ness for her?

Edited by Audrey

I coat the ends with with olive oil, salt and pepper, and stick pieces of garlic under the fat.

When you put in the meat thermometer, be careful to place it correctly.

I roast at 500 for 30 minutes, then turn down to 250 and wait for the meat thermometer to get to your happy temperature (for us, around 132).

This is what we did and it's delicious! Thanks, Audrey! Not sure when else this family of nine will get all-you-can-eat prime rib, so it's a yummy day in this house. :D

Oh I know! It's is a yummy treat. We have our own beef, but you know... for some reason I can't seem to grow an all prime rib cow. :lol: