Menu

Has anyone done high school as outlined in TWTM

It has been my impression that almost nobody on the high school board uses the materials recommended for science in TWTM; compared to the strength of the humanities suggestions, these are sub-par.

Weellll, certainly they are subpar for AP level science studies and maybe even SAT II science, depending on the subject, but there are some useful proposals in there...

And I'm sure there are people who use Apologia for the regular level coursework...we did for physics (general level) but with Georgia Public Broadcasting and some other books to cover topics that were not in Apologia and were on GPB...but used other books entirely for the AP level.

She does recommend correspondence courses for AP level work....

And the TCC Human Body - which mine learned a lot from...as well as other interesting materials.

Certainly the 'Self-teaching Guides' have not been recommended on the forum...

But I would agree that for typical high school science texts...there is a dearth of information...Hers is an approach that few STEM majors would use (ETA - by her 'approach' I meant the main idea of studying historical science books. Apologia is considered an alternative course)....though I know someone who was doing this same approach (historical science docs) without reading WTM and went into Biochem successfully (and graduated with a Masters). So it can be done...but not so easily I think...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

We are just beginning this journey with our oldest. Except for science, I am using essentially all of her SWB's recommendations for high school and my 9th grader is loving it, especially the Great Books portion. She was thrilled to not be doing a traditional text book for history, and while it is a bit harder for me to acquire and schedule the readings we choose, it is worth it so far. We have some bumpy areas to work through but looking at the big picture I'm very happy with everything we're doing.

Check back with me in mid-February and I'll let you know how things are going. ;)

Pretty much with my oldest, except for science. We have added other things, though, and did science/math a bit differently because that's where my dc ended up wanting to focus.

Rhetoric - check

Vocabulary/Grammar/Writing - check

Great Books (History and Lit) - check

Science - reading from original writings and writing research papers, check - used a rigorous text, though, too, and now CC classes

Art and Music - check

We have used Wheelock's for Latin, and I can't remember what WTM recommends?

I can't remember what WTM recommends for math, so that is probably different. We used Foerster's Algebra, then the VideoText series (Algebra I, II, Geometry, Trig/), then some Trig/Pre-Calc on our own, then PS Calc.

I'm doing it differently with my middle, becase she is a bit different. :D I do think WTM high school is the best path, though, other than some math and science changes for dc who need it.

Edited by angela in ohio

The WTM came out when our two oldest were 9 and 7. I found it in our local Borders and was sold on it after I read the first chapter. I ended up following it in a loose fashion for the rest of their homeschooling.

Ds and dd did WTM-style history, literature, and (mostly) writing for middle and high school. They did Apologia science for some of their courses (WTM recommended), Intro. and Intermediate Logic (recommended in the old WTM editions) and a foreign language (but not Latin). We chose other things for math and science. I also added other writing curricula instruction, but I really wasn't happy with anything we did. Oh, and they each took several APs and CLEPs (btw, SWB did a lot of CLEPs when she was a freshman in college).

I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out except for writing. I wish I had been able to do better with that. My ds and dd learned a lot more about writing at college by just doing it. FWIW, they are both in STEM majors, so most of what they write are technical papers. I'm so, so happy to be using WWS with my younger dc. It is what I kept looking for all those years!

They are both doing fine in college. I would be very interested to hear if anyone actually does everything in the WTM as written for high school, including SWB. I'm sure there must be someone out there who has.

I think for people in Europe, the biggest weakness is modern foreign languages....especially for primary and middle school levels but also for high school...

But overall the skeleton of the program is rigorous and we could not have had a successful graduate without the WTM in all its forms (books, tapes, and forum):001_smile:

Joan