Menu

Operation Christmas Child question

If you participate in Operation Christmas Child, do you include your name and address in the box? Dd is participating in it with her AHG troop and they have a cute "about me" paper to go in the box that includes a place for her address so the recipient can write to her. I have no problem with penpals, but this kinda makes me nervous. Would you allow your child's name and address to be included in an OCC box?

I would not have a problem with it, but I am also unsure whether it would be left in the box.

When the boxes arrive at the distribution center, volunteers sort through them and remove any items that are not allowed, and redistribute items as necessary. So, if they don't want the information to go with the box, they will remove it.

People have included their names and address and have received letters back from the OCC who received the box. I usually just include a note and a picture of our kids.

I have heard that the recipient sometimes writes. We all the time tell kids not to give out personal info, but here it's ok? I can't decide.

I have heard that the recipient sometimes writes. We all the time tell kids not to give out personal info, but here it's ok? I can't decide.

You could put "The Smith Family" so that your child's name isn't on there, but they could still write the family.

If you participate in Operation Christmas Child, do you include your name and address in the box? Dd is participating in it with her AHG troop and they have a cute "about me" paper to go in the box that includes a place for her address so the recipient can write to her. I have no problem with penpals, but this kinda makes me nervous. Would you allow your child's name and address to be included in an OCC box?

We have and twice we received letters from foreign countries...it was a great experience for us;)

We will this year. We have not in the past because I've never been certain if we would be at that address should the person decide to write back.

One of the blogs I'm on had one of their recipients write back!

I've never included ours when we've packed boxes. If you are worried about who will see it, once the volunteers get them in the warehouse, they are taped shut. At least my group, we were looking in the boxes for "contraband" material so quickly, we didn't have time to see an address and copy it.

We participate in this for each of our children. I encourage them to make the box just as they'd want it within the budget they are given. My oldest dd with include a picture she drew and colored. My youngest dd will include a picture with patterns of stickers and give them stickers to complete the patterns. They both enjoy making the boxes personalized, but I wouldn't feel safe to allow them to include the address and their full name. I'm paranoid. :001_huh: