Menu

Miquon users

JOHNNABONNA

Since being on these boards I have read Many posts both good and bad regarding miquon. I have always completely dismissed miquon mistakenly under the assumption that it was for extremely mathy individuals who did math for "fun" ;) I was afraid that somehow the way this program taught concepts would somehow escape this VERY NOT Mathy mommy. However out of sheer desperation of trying to teach math to my equally non mathy dd I have recently purchased miquon and some c-rods and let me tell you the genius of it has not escaped me. The c-rods allow my children to see whole numbers right off the bat instead of counting each unit like they did with the mathusee blocks(drove me crazy and they learned nothing this way) so my question is

She is 11. I am wondering if perhaps she has some dyscalcula but that's another post I only say that to demonstrate that she is brhind and has in general a hard time retaining new concepts learned. I'm assuming I should start at the beginning and then go quickly through the easy material?? Am I correct in thinking this also how fast should I go through the worksheets? Obviously the orange book is very easy for her so far.

Please forgive my iPhone typos:D

The c-rods allow my children to see whole numbers right off the bat instead of counting each unit like they did with the mathusee blocks(drove me crazy and they learned nothing this way) so my question is

Based on that part of your post, I myself have a question. We are using Math Mammoth, my son is 6 and we are at the last part of chapter1 in 1A. No matter how hard I try to get him to do a problem 7+3, where you have 7 and 3 more after 7 is 10, he still will line up 7 dots/objects and 3 and count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...8,9,10.

I have wondered if Miquon would be something to try.

I would think an 11 year old could go through all 6 Miquon books with no problem. If you want to use Miquon with her to catch her up to speed with concepts then I wouldn't see any problem going through all the books. I would just try to move through them rather quickly. You may find her zipping through the easy areas and then you may find a concept that stumps her. And that's where you'll linger. We used Miquon with my oldest and I liked to supplement it. If a child doesn't grasp math quickly then it's important to have some sort of drill practice. I used Kumon workbooks to practice the basic operations. Some people pair Miquon with MEP (which is free online) or Math Mammoth or Singapore.

Based on that part of your post, I myself have a question. We are using Math Mammoth, my son is 6 and we are at the last part of chapter1 in 1A. No matter how hard I try to get him to do a problem 7+3, where you have 7 and 3 more after 7 is 10, he still will line up 7 dots/objects and 3 and count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...8,9,10.

I have wondered if Miquon would be something to try.

We are loving the cuisennaire rods because it had basically eliminated this 1,2,3,4,5... Counting stuff over and over a million times. I am seeing that they are understanding the value of the color/size of the rod and when rods are put together they are able to see that it is the same size as another rod that it equal. Clear as mud huh. I'm sure someone else could do a much better job of explaining but say they have two light green rods together and they know that they each equal three they then are able to see that it is the same size as a 6 rod and then make the connection 2 light greens/ 2 threes EQUALS one dark green/ 6 rod :D

Go to education unboxed and watch her videos...pretty awesome stuff.

So you think I should sit down and do as much as she can/wants a day until we hit something that she kind of lingers on? I just don't want to expect to much or to little as far as how many pages per day. KWIM?

That's what I would do. And I would frame it as being easy for the first books. Play math. Unless an 11 yo is severely learning disabled or has been literally denied an education all her life, the early stuff may seem babyish, but it builds to interesting stuff.

I also wouldn't force her to go in order through the books. It's all broken up by different topics. I try to keep my ds who does Miquon doing the same thread (see the letter and number combo at the bottom of the pages) in order, but not the book. So he's free to jump from a page about fractions to a page about number patterns. Or an "E thread" page to a "U thread" page within the book he's doing.

Alternately, since you're doing this with an older kid and you have the whole set, you might follow a single thread through different books - in other words, do all the "A" pages in a row at once and the "B" and so on and so forth. And that might make it easier for you to really maximize the activities in the Annotations that go with each book. I wouldn't do that with a young kid just starting, but I think it might work better with an older kid using Miquon to try and pick up some conceptual perspective.

Just wanted to say we started with Miquon today, mostly just playing with the rods, letting my son make up his own problems. It was so much fun he didn't even realize he was doing math. I love how he could just look at a group of rods and know instantly that four tens make forty.

I know with my littles it almost seems intuitive. They pick it up do fast not what I was expecting at all but so glad we have found them.

That's what I would do. And I would frame it as being easy for the first books. Play math. Unless an 11 yo is severely learning disabled or has been literally denied an education all her life, the early stuff may seem babyish, but it builds to interesting stuff.

I also wouldn't force her to go in order through the books. It's all broken up by different topics. I try to keep my ds who does Miquon doing the same thread (see the letter and number combo at the bottom of the pages) in order, but not the book. So he's free to jump from a page about fractions to a page about number patterns. Or an "E thread" page to a "U thread" page within the book he's doing.

Alternately, since you're doing this with an older kid and you have the whole set, you might follow a single thread through different books - in other words, do all the "A" pages in a row at once and the "B" and so on and so forth. And that might make it easier for you to really maximize the activities in the Annotations that go with each book. I wouldn't do that with a young kid just starting, but I think it might work better with an older kid using Miquon to try and pick up some conceptual perspective.

Thank you! I am going to try that.

:iagree: One of my boys has done most of his Miquon books in this way. He goes by topic, working until he get stumped. He loves it.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

You've been given some helpful advice already, but I'll chime in too.

I would start with Orange. I would not plan a set amount of pages. Set a time for doing math, and simply work through at her pace each day. I think the idea of going through by topic is fantastic for an older child.