Menu

English for Arabic Speakers?

Sahamamama

Some friends of ours have had to leave Egypt and are now in the US. While the husband and children speak passable English, the wife has not had the same opportunities to learn English in Egypt. Now she would like to learn, since they hope to be able to stay in the US.

Any ideas for learning English as speaker of Egyptian Arabic? Would RS work for her perhaps?

:bigear:

• 1 month later...

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-English-Grammar-Student-Answer/dp/0131849379/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353428118&sr=1-2&keywords=azar+english+grammar Azar's texts are standard for learning english. Community colleges use it in ESL classes. As a mom, she might actually like that structure of getting out and making new friends. I tutored a friend using Azar, and it's a terrific text. However when you're working with a ESL mom, the issue is that she's sitting at home, not USING the english. All the texts in the world won't solve that. She can, and should, get passive language skills by putting on audiobooks, listening to the news, etc. However she really needs ways to get out and use it.

• 5 weeks later...

Also, check in your community for resources for learning English. The local masjid/mosque or Coptic church might have free classes. Community centers also often have free ESL classes.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Rosetta Stone. I think it is overpriced and can be difficult to learn from.

• 2 weeks later...

If she is in the US, it would be much better for her to learn it "live" in a class or with a tutor.

Hi, Jean --

Yes, she is in the US, about 2 hours away from us. If she lived closer, I would gladly teach her English, in exchange for Middle Eastern food. LOL! :)

She called and left a message on the answering machine last week -- partly in Arabic, partly in English, then she laughed at her English. But we could understand what she said, so...

We're going up soon to celebrate Coptic Christmas with them, so I'll ask her if she's found anything local that's "live," like you suggest. I agree, tutoring or in-class instruction with a native speaker is better than CDs or books. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the community college recommendation.

TV was an enormous help for me as well. It's best to start with soap operas. They tend to have simple conversational language and those conversations repeat over and over again :) You will be amazed what a year of Days of Our Lives can accomplish for English. Nothing will replace live practice though.

I wasn't an Arabic speaker though, but that shouldn't matter.