Menu

It's finally cold and I can run in the oven ...

... without feeling guilty. Was there anyone else who didn't bake anything all summer? My oven has not been on since early May. I wonder if I should've titled this more along the lines of a 'my secret weirdness' thread?)

Edited by mirth

... without feeling guilty. Was there anyone else who didn't bake anything all summer? My oven has not been on since early May. I wonder if I should've titled this more along the lines of a 'my secret weirdness' thread?)

Running "in the oven" sounds like a secret talent as well as a secret weirdness. ;)

I ran my oven all summer, because my house is well air conditioned.

If you want to bake in the summer, but not in the house, you should try a solar oven. After the hurricane we had no power for 6 days. I made meatloaf, beerbatter bread and chocolate chip cookies all in my driveway. And it was only about 80 degrees out.

There are plenty of plans out there. Mine is a simple cardboard covered in tin foil to catch sun and reflect it into a large turkey bag that holds the heat and the food.

If you want something that holds together better, you can build a box oven, but you do need to 'preheat' those frirst.

Running "in the oven" sounds like a secret talent as well as a secret weirdness. ;)

You're right. Title now edited.

We have central AC too but I just felt guilty making it (really, them) work so hard. I had the toaster oven and stovetop going as usual, and lots of outdoor patio cooking but using the indoor oven felt wrong somehow.

I see I now have a not so secret weirdness.