Menu

Book to go along with Snap Circuits

Wheres Toto

I'm thinking of getting Snap Circuits for my son for Christmas. In reading the reviews I saw that it doesn't include information about how and why the different diagrams work. Can anyone recommend a book - up to a 6th grade reading level - that would explain more about electricity and would be a good companion to Snap Circuits?

I bought this version of the SnapCircuits 300 kit, which included a student guide and teacher's guide in addition to the project books. The student guide has the sort of information you're looking for, and it covers everything up through the SC-750 kit, so upgrading later is easy to do. My 8yo started going through the student guide during his "free science" time, and he's having no trouble understanding it so far.

Most of the good electricity books I can think of are either really simple (The Magic Schoolbus or Let's Read and Find Out) or are experiment books (like the Janice Van Cleave Electricity for Every Kid). Maybe just the Eyewitness book about Electricity or the one about Electronics?

I bought this version of the SnapCircuits 300 kit, which included a student guide and teacher's guide in addition to the project books. The student guide has the sort of information you're looking for, and it covers everything up through the SC-750 kit, so upgrading later is easy to do. My 8yo started going through the student guide during his "free science" time, and he's having no trouble understanding it so far.

Yes, the Student Guide is gold. Without it, I personally think Snap Circuits are not nearly as educational as they ought to be considering the constant rave reviews. With the SG, kids will really understand why and can even design their own systems.

ETA: On this site, you can also get the TG for $6.50 and there are samples of that. The SG is great though, with full-color illustrations and diagrams with actual pics of the Snap Circuits pieces. I wouldn't have Snap Circuits without it.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Yes, the Student Guide is gold. Without it, I personally think Snap Circuits are not nearly as educational as they ought to be considering the constant rave reviews. With the SG, kids will really understand why and can even design their own systems.

ETA: On this site, you can also get the TG for $6.50 and there are samples of that. The SG is great though, with full-color illustrations and diagrams with actual pics of the Snap Circuits pieces. I wouldn't have Snap Circuits without it.

I looked at that before, but I couldn't see that it had different projects than the ones that come with the Snap Circuits. Those are also in color with lots of diagrams. But this has more, I take it?

I looked at that before, but I couldn't see that it had different projects than the ones that come with the Snap Circuits. Those are also in color with lots of diagrams. But this has more, I take it?

Full disclosure? I have nothing to do with Snap Circuits other than buying them. :lol: DS9 does them, sometimes by himself and sometimes with DH. DH knows stuff about circuits (I do not :tongue_smilie:) and likes the SG. Looking at them all in front of me, the ones that came with the Snap Circuits and the SG that I linked (and purchased separately), it seems that the experiments in the SG extend the learning in the instruction manuals.

The layout, pretty much is...

Good stuff about circuits and electricity, in the real world, with illustrations and diagrams!

How that good stuff we just learned about is represented with Snap Circuit parts, part by part. "Just as the plumbing industry..." blah blah blah, slide switch, blah blah blah, "Snap Circuits includes one of these...take out the switch and look at it." (Lots of introduction of the part after explaining how these parts work and what they look like in real life, often including different varieties.)

Experiments. Yes, sometimes they reference a project from an instruction manual from one of the sets, show the setup, but typically they extend it. Some original experiments not in the other IM's too, I think. Lots of "try..." and asking why? in this book. Soldering, schematics, little quizzes, etc. But, for me, the biggest reason to buy this book is that it relates playing around with Snap Circuits to electronics in the real world.