Menu

What math after Lial's intro to algebra?

Dd will begin Lial's Intro to Algebra soon. I'm trying to get my 4 year plan all laid out. My oldest will begin Lial's preCalculus as soon as it arrives. So, I guess I have the beginning and the end planned.....it is the inbetween I need some help :001_smile:

A. Lial's Intro Algrebra

Lial's Intermediate

????Geometry

Lial's PreCalculus

B. Lial's Intro Algebra

?????Geometry

Lial's Intermediate

Lial's Precalculus

Which sequence, A. or B.?

And what to use for geometry?????? I am a much stronger teacher of algebra than geometry. So, I need a geometry curriculum that is VERY friendly to use and explains concepts VERY clearly and well.

Thanks!!!

I would go with B. ACT/SAT tests expect a student to know Algebra I and geometry.

We're using TT geometry after Lial's Intro. Alg. It's very teacher and student friendly. FWIW, I was totally against using TT, because I didn't think it would challenge my dc enough. After reading that Jann in TX thought it was fine for geometry, I decided it was worth a shot. So far, it's been great, and the reduced intensity has been very good for retention. YMMV, of course.

I would go with B. ACT/SAT tests expect a student to know Algebra I and geometry.

We're using TT geometry after Lial's Intro. Alg. It's very teacher and student friendly. FWIW, I was totally against using TT, because I didn't think it would challenge my dc enough. After reading that Jann in TX thought it was fine for geometry, I decided it was worth a shot. So far, it's been great, and the reduced intensity has been very good for retention. YMMV, of course.

I have heard good reports of TT geometry. My only concern with that geometry program is the expense.

My daughter did the following progression:

8th grade: Lial's Beginning Algebra

9th grade: Harold Jacobs' Geometry (2nd edition)

10th grade: Lial's Intermediate Algebra

11th grade: College Algebra and Trigonometry at the local community college using Sullivan's Precalculus

12th grade: AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers

While my daughter didn't use Lial's Precalculus, my husband is using that book in a Precalculus class he is currently teaching; he has also used it to tutor students.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

10th grade: Lial's Intermediate Geometry

11th grade: College Algebra and Trigonometry at the local community college using Sullivan's Precalculus

While my daughter didn't use Lial's Precalculus, my husband is using that book in a Precalculus class he is currently teaching; he has also used it to tutor students.

Regards,

Kareni

Good to know!! I actually looked at Sullivan's Precalculus but I was afraid I would not be able to find support materials (solutions manuals). I had not considered 2 years of geometry. I'm not sure this will work as dd will probably not finish Intro Algebra this year. But, if she finished it this summer........ Something to consider. I have an older edition of Jacobs Geometry but only an answer key, not a solutions manual. Again, geometry is harder for me, so I need a solutions manual.

10th grade: Lial's Intermediate Geometry

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure she meant intermediate algebra.

We are doing option B and using Holt Geometry 2007 this year. The only thing that might change is if ds decides to take precalculus at CC and then we have to use the text they chose. I like Lial's so much that I will probably have it on hand for reference anyway if that is the case.

Pamela F. in VA

Dd will begin Lial's Intro to Algebra soon. I'm trying to get my 4 year plan all laid out. My oldest will begin Lial's preCalculus as soon as it arrives. So, I guess I have the beginning and the end planned.....it is the inbetween I need some help :001_smile:

A. Lial's Intro Algrebra

Lial's Intermediate

????Geometry

Lial's PreCalculus

B. Lial's Intro Algebra

?????Geometry

Lial's Intermediate

Lial's Precalculus

Which sequence, A. or B.?

And what to use for geometry?????? I am a much stronger teacher of algebra than geometry. So, I need a geometry curriculum that is VERY friendly to use and explains concepts VERY clearly and well.

Thanks!!!

After Lial's Intro to Algebra, we have started Jacob's Geometry (2nd ed) and Ds is loving it. I am much better at Geometry than Algebra, though, and I suspect my Ds is the same. While we enjoy Jacob's it might be that TT is better for those who are geometry-phobic. (JK. You didn't really say you are afraid of it, did you?)

Glad you posted this question. I like Kareni's progression, and it gives me ideas for the rest of HS math.

I admit I'm concerned about using Jacobs. I really want something with abundant explanations and examples. I do like the Lial's progression though. Oldest dd's Lial's precalculus and cdroms arrived today. The solution manual has shipped but is not here yet. I'm pleased by what I've seen of it so far. Much of the first part will be review. But, I think even that will be good. Lial's presents things differently than Saxon. I predict many "lightbulb" moments for her.