Menu

independent grammar for 2nd grade?

kesmom

I love VIE for 1st & 2nd grade. It is published by Loyola Press (Catholic press, but VIE is secular). Both of these grade levels are colorful work texts, rather than hardback textbooks, making them both reasonably priced and very easy to implement. We switched over to FLL 3 this year with my 7 year old (8 in October) child and she has transitioned easily. I like how thorough FLL is, but I miss the independence of VIE.

I think Growing w/ Grammar is a good independent program. My 2nd ds is going through it right now. At that age my first son would beg for grammar (it was the quick and easy subject) and my 2nd son up until last week was begging for it. We also used GWG3 for the older and he then easily transitioned into R&S4.

GWG is about a paragraph of reading and then the front and back side of a worksheet. Maybe about 30 questions, of which maybe 5 are writing sentences and then rest are matching or some other easier problem.

This likely won't be the popular answer - but have you considered waiting until 3rd for an independent grammar program? That extra year makes a big difference in reading fluency and ability to work independently. I tried to do grammar in 2nd and 3rd, never really happened because DD wasn't really ready for independent work, but we're planning independent grammar this year - CLE, just waiting for it to arrive!

Thanks everyone!

This likely won't be the popular answer - but have you considered waiting until 3rd for an independent grammar program? That extra year makes a big difference in reading fluency and ability to work independently. I tried to do grammar in 2nd and 3rd, never really happened because DD wasn't really ready for independent work, but we're planning independent grammar this year - CLE, just waiting for it to arrive!

I've considered it, but am looking at other options too. She does great with fluency and working independently for a short time.