Menu

Is AAS consumable?

airforcefamily

I only have AAS 1 so I can't speak to other levels. But it is not consumable. The student pack has cards that can be reused. There are also the tiles that could be used by more than one child. Then there's the teacher manual. I plan to use Level 1 with all my kids and I don't plan to purchase any more student packs. So, you should be fine with just one student pack.

The only consumables are the progress chart and certificate of completion. If you have 2 kids who are working at the same time (same level or different level) you may want 2 student packets so they can each have their own cards for review. Each level adds additional cards - some which you may not need to keep for the next level, and some that you will. I have 3 kids, but I will only ever have 2 in AAS at the same time. My third will be able to reuse the my oldest's cards, and so 2 student packets works for us.

This is something discussed often. Each student packet it the flashcards. One set of tiles to share is fine, but unless you'll have one student completely done or quite a few levels ahead it would be hard to share cards. The phonogram and sound cards move up the levels with the child. In the upper levels there are times where a mastered review is to be done, so you need those cards. I would find it a pain to know which child needed to review which cards daily if they were not being taught at the same pace. My youngest will start AAS sometime this year, even though his older brother is almost done with level 3, I won't be using his level 1 cards with younger son, he still needs many of them for the phonogram/sound/key card review as well as when the mastered review comes up.

Some people use some sort of notebook to keep track of these things, but to me it's more hassle than it's worth, it's just easier to buy each student their own packet and have everything there and ready to go.

I bought two student packets but only ended up using one. I just put sticky tabs of two different colors on the cards to help remember which child is where. But my oldest is an excellent reader in third grade, so she's been moving through AAS 1 fast. If you are starting with an older child and a younger, I don't think it's worth it to have two separate student packages.

I bought two student packets but only ended up using one. I just put sticky tabs of two different colors on the cards to help remember which child is where. But my oldest is an excellent reader in third grade, so she's been moving through AAS 1 fast. If you are starting with an older child and a younger, I don't think it's worth it to have two separate student packages.

This is where we are too. It's for a third grader who is an excellent reader (but a poor speller) and a first grader. I want to avoid getting redundant materials but maybe it would be easier if they had their own cards. I'm generally extremely short on time during the day so anything that will make things go quicker would be helpful.

That may be the case. For me, it was easier to just set up one set and use it... the second set is collecting dust unopened. I'm going to gift it to a friend who is switching soon.

On another note, I am very pleased with the results I'm seeing in these first few weeks. It's exciting that we are finally thoroughly learning how to spell and not just memorizing words.

It isn't consumable, but if I had two children in the same level at the same time I'd get them their own student packs. If your child doesn't need a lot of review from a previous level (and normally shouldn't), then just use the old student pack with your up and coming child - there are free printables online for the progress chart/certificate for the next child :).

The cards are fairly durable. My daughter is starting level 5 and the cards from level 1 are holding up just fine. Some are more worn than others, but nothing major. I will say that I do not expect my son's cards to hold up quite as well because he's not quite as gentle with them, but so far they have done fine.

I would definitely not laminate the word cards because there are too many, and you won't carry all of them over from level to level like you will the other cards.

I am teaching my two sons together, at the same time, and I only use one set. This is working out fine for us, although one may move through it a bit slower than he is capable because I keep them together. So far they are pretty close to each other with spelling though.

If you are teaching two who are far apart in their spelling ability, you will likely need to sets. It is not that the sets get 'used up' but rather that you need them to keep track of what you must review every day with each child. If you can figure out another convenient way to do that, you would only need one set, imho.

I am teaching my two sons together, at the same time, and I only use one set. This is working out fine for us, although one may move through it a bit slower than he is capable because I keep them together. So far they are pretty close to each other with spelling though.

If you are teaching two who are far apart in their spelling ability, you will likely need to sets. It is not that the sets get 'used up' but rather that you need them to keep track of what you must review every day with each child. If you can figure out another convenient way to do that, you would only need one set, imho.

:iagree: If you teach and review together, and neither one has significant struggles, you will be fine with one packet. If you work with them separately, you'll likley need two unless they are several levels apart. Sometimes an older student learns very quickly and doesn't need a lot of review, and then it can work out. My kids are about a level apart, but both need lots of review, and having a packet for each makes life much easier.

If you get them their own student packs, do you need to have their own box as well? Or do they share the box?

You'll need a box for each, either one you find locally or the AAS box. When you first start you could fit cards for both in one box, but it's easy to mix up whose cards are whose that way too.

I haven't laminated any of our cards, and even with doing (extra) monthly reviews of the phonogram, sound, and key cards for 4+ years, they are still in great shape. You are mostly the one holding the cards. The only time that the kids hold the cards is when they are doing a word analysis on a stack of 10 cards (at most). Then, you hand them the cards, they go through each one (5 minutes or less time total), and hand them back to you. So they are not getting a lot of handling by the kids.

HTH some! Merry :-)