Menu

Home Art Studio - does ea. grade last a full school year?

alisoncooks

I'm eyeballing the Home Art Studio dvds. I think my DD's would love them.

I think the website suggests doing 1 project a week, but the Kinder. dvd has something like 18 (?) projects. That's definitely not a full school year. (And maybe they don't say they do last a full year, LOL.)

Basically, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. :D What do the lesson pdfs include? (Are there only pdfs for each dvd presentation...or are there more for you to do on your own?)

I have the K year, 17 lessons.

I actually plan to get through it fairly quickly since my child is ready for the 1st grade one. But I could stretch it out and do it more slowly to make it last for a year or repeat favorite projects.

The PDF is a page per lesson. It lists which of the National Standards it covers, supplies, tips, vocab, and the step-by-step procedure with a couple of photos of the project. There's a related baking recipe for one lesson. For my planner, it works out for me to have it printed, but that might not be necessary.

The PDF is a page per lesson. It lists which of the National Standards it covers, supplies, tips, vocab, and the step-by-step procedure with a couple of photos of the project. There's a related baking recipe for one lesson. For my planner, it works out for me to have it printed, but that might not be necessary.

I print this out for my planning binder also.

We have Grade 3, and DS loves it. It is not going to last us a full year though, as DS is an art boy.

If we did only one lesson per week, obviously it would stretch out longer. I think, too, that if I skipped some weeks and did holiday specific projects instead of HAS those weeks, we could stretch it the whole year. As it is, I plan to add in something else once we get through the lessons.

Absolutely think it was worth it for the price, whether it lasts the whole year or not!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lindsey Volin

Hi, this is Ms. Volin the art teacher and creator of Home Art Studio. I saw your question and just wanted to reply. Many of the lessons take more than one session. We will often do the first part of the project, then set it aside to dry and finish it the next week. There should be enough lessons to last through the traditional school year if done once a week. Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi, this is Ms. Volin the art teacher and creator of Home Art Studio. I saw your question and just wanted to reply. Many of the lessons take more than one session. We will often do the first part of the project, then set it aside to dry and finish it the next week. There should be enough lessons to last through the traditional school year if done once a week. Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Great! Thanks for the information!

My dd LOVES HAS :001_wub: !! We submitted her Happy Sun picture and Ms. Volin put it on the website and made such nice comments to her about it. Because Ms. Volin is on the tv, she's the equivalent of a movie star to my dd....so she was really excited to see the comments made directly to her about her art work. :lol: I have to admit....I am really glad I read this thread because.....I had no.idea there were pdf's. :blush: Where are they?? I just looked at the website and I don't see them....I see there are two discs in the case...but they say disc 1 and disc 2, so I'm assuming they are both the video art lessons.

I am really glad I read this thread because.....I had no.idea there were pdf's. :blush: Where are they?? I just looked at the website and I don't see them....I see there are two discs in the case...but they say disc 1 and disc 2, so I'm assuming they are both the video art lessons.

I found the info on the FAQs page. :)

http://www.officialhomeartstudio.com/faq/

Those of you using this, what are your thoughts on the projects? Are you happy with them? Are your kids learning techniques or just having fun? Any info you can give would be great.

Also, how much are you spending on supplies and is everything on the lists really needed? I clicked on the supply lists which takes me to Jerry's to purchase that list...for the 2 grades that I looked at, the supplies were well over $100 (each grade!). I know I can get some of the things cheaper and I will have a few things on hand, but was just curious about your experience.

TIA!

Those of you using this, what are your thoughts on the projects? Are you happy with them? Are your kids learning techniques or just having fun? Any info you can give would be great.

Also, how much are you spending on supplies and is everything on the lists really needed? I clicked on the supply lists which takes me to Jerry's to purchase that list...for the 2 grades that I looked at, the supplies were well over $100 (each grade!). I know I can get some of the things cheaper and I will have a few things on hand, but was just curious about your experience.

TIA!

I haven't gotten very far into the first one yet, but so far we are happy and plan to go onto the next one. I'd say both technique and fun are involved, but we are at the basics right now. I've looked over all the lessons in the PDF and am pleased with the content and variety. The big hit with mine was the footage of the nature center as an intro for one project.

We had some supplies on hand already and we shopped with coupon codes, so not sure what we spent. But, I'm going to be using this with more than one child, so the DVDs will get used again and again.

The cost of supplies/DVD for us was less than one 3-month art course at the art center we'd been going to and I'm coming up on a period in life where not having to leave the house and drive 90 min. for art lessons (round trip) is going to be a great thing. So, for us, this was actually a money-saver.

I would say both technique and fun. In the first lesson in K she teaches about the primary colors. They are called the super heroes. In the second lesson you mix super hero colors to make the side kicks, secondary colors. My dd has only gotten to do 2 lessons (in a much lower level than her actual grade level) but she loves it. Art is her favorite subject now. It's cool that you can upload your pictures to the website and Ms. Volin will comment on them. I got supplies from Jerry's...but it's pretty much basic stuff (depending on what grade): drawing paper, watercolor paper, colored construction paper, tempera paints, watercolors (in tubes), paint brushes, oil pastels, clay, glue, scissors, markers....

Here is her Happy Sun she made and Ms. Volin put on her website and commented about it. Bear in mind, this is a just 9 year old doing a project in K.

Thanks Clairelise and AprilMay! :001_smile::001_smile:

It helps to hear about your experiences, I think I'll get the kindy one and check it out! It seems like a great deal.

And love the Happy Sun!! So cute!! My kids would love to mess around with all different mediums and this looks like a fun way to try. I can't wait to create something, too. :tongue_smilie:

It helps to hear about your experiences, I think I'll get the kindy one and check it out! It seems like a great deal.

And love the Happy Sun!! So cute!! My kids would love to mess around with all different mediums and this looks like a fun way to try. I can't wait to create something, too. :tongue_smilie:

I do the projects with my kids! :) I signed up at Jerry's for their email list and get coupon codes often. Today I got a free shipping code for certain orders and it is on their website, too.

Edited by Clairelise

I hope you'll love it!

April/May

Would you recommend starting with the k on for older kids? 3rd grade, 8 and 9 years who have done some drawing but not a lot of other art? I was thinking about this but didn't know if it would seem to babyish.

Thanks

I don't think the lessons are babyish at all, although we've only gotten to do two so far. Sometimes she might says something like, 'cutting can be hard...so you might need help doing this...'. If that doesn't bother your kids, then the K shouldn't be a problem. What I really like about HAS as opposed to Atelier (although I've never used that)...is that the lessons don't have kids in it. In Atelier, if you have a 3rd grader doing the K...all the kids on the dvd are going to be in K. With HAS...it's just Ms. Volin. You might have read what I've said before on other HAS threads...that my dd looked at all the samples on the website, and she begged to do all of the dvd's. She didn't want to start with 3rd and miss all of the projects in K, 1st, and 2nd. I was fine with this. I think it will be lots of fun to work through every project. I ended up getting K, 1st, and 2nd. I'm thinking of maybe going through K and 1st this year, 2nd and 3rd for next year (4th grade) and then 4th and 5th the next year. I heard she's making other levels....I really hope so! Maybe Lindsey can confirm that here.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I just ordered the Kinder level for my 1st & PreK'er.

Can't wait to get started! (But the shipping was pricey! One dvd = $8+ to ship. That's a little high, IMO.)

Maybe a little high....but so well worth it when you compare the cost of this to some other popular art dvd programs. I hope you and the kids enjoy it. :001_smile: