Menu

Crown molding

Is crown molding for any type of room/house, or is it for high end houses really? I've got a plain, not expensive, type of home that was built in 1997. I think adding crown molding would look pretty but I don't want it to look out of place. You know, would it be like adding lace to a potato sack and calling it dressy?

Would I need to add crown molding to every room or can I just do the bedrooms? My living room ceiling is really high and has angles. The walls aren't perpendicular with the ceiling. Is it weird to have a house with only some rooms with crown molding or is that normal?

I mean, I saw it once in a house that was ultra-modern on the outside, and it looked very weird and out of place to see it in that house, but you know what I mean, right? :D

Because crown molding looks more old style, or traditional? I'm not even sure I know what I'm talking about! :tongue_smilie:

My dad does his own molding. He put crown molding in our one house that was about 2200 sq ft. 10 years after we sold it, the purchasers were still talking about their molding:tongue_smilie:...made it stand out from the rest of the houses in the neighborhood. I recall he put it in the family room for sure. Maybe dining and living rooms too. Brownie

Is crown molding for any type of room/house, or is it for high end houses really? I've got a plain, not expensive, type of home that was built in 1997. I think adding crown molding would look pretty but I don't want it to look out of place. You know, would it be like adding lace to a potato sack and calling it dressy?

Would I need to add crown molding to every room or can I just do the bedrooms? My living room ceiling is really high and has angles. The walls aren't perpendicular with the ceiling. Is it weird to have a house with only some rooms with crown molding or is that normal?

DH, who works in a mill shop and has a lot of experience with crown molding, says that it depends on the style of house. It is not unusual to have crown molding in just some rooms. The lower the ceiling the smaller the molding - for an 8 foot ceiling it should be no bigger than 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inch molding (which is the hypotenuse of the triangle made between the molding, wall and ceiling... the actual projection down on the part sitting on the ceiling is 2 to 3 inches). If it is too small it gets "lost in the ceiling", if you want an accent you'd want it a little bigger.