Menu

CC- What are your thoughts on 50-50 raffles?

My children are in several activities that raise funds with 50-50 raffles. Dh and I do not support gambling and we usually find other ways to participate (car washes, working the concession booth) without purchasing 50-50 tickets. I'm not sure that I have a strong prohibition against raffles, they're just something I don't feel totally comfortable doing. I know that many people just look at them as a donation to a group and if they win, well, that's just a bonus. I also know that many Christian churches have raffles. My church does not hold raffles or hold other fundraisers like this.

The problem is that my dd is supposed to do a very expensive activity with her team next year. They are having a variety of fundraisers and we are participating in them. I got an email this week that said all team members would be required to sell 15 50-50 raffle tickets. I can't see asking friends and family to buy the tickets and buying them myself seems to defeat the purpose of raising funds for the trip. Christians, how do you feel about raffles? Should I tell the leader that this is one fundraiser that I don't feel comfortable with? Should I just suck it up and sell the tickets? Should I buy them all myself and consider a donation to the cause?

Well, most people that *I* know would be ok with raffles, and definitely wouldn't mind being asked to buy a ticket (even if they didn't buy one or didn't agree with it personally - they wouldn't be offended or judgmental or anything like that). Obviously different areas and churches and people are different, and it may be something that some people are adamantly against where you are - that just isn't the case here. So I wouldn't have a problem with the ticket selling.

I am one of those who has personally never really thought anything bad of 50-50 raffles. I don't put them on par with gambling. :)

Well, most people that *I* know would be ok with raffles, and definitely wouldn't mind being asked to buy a ticket (even if they didn't buy one or didn't agree with it personally - they wouldn't be offended or judgmental or anything like that). Obviously different areas and churches and people are different, and it may be something that some people are adamantly against where you are - that just isn't the case here. So I wouldn't have a problem with the ticket selling.

I am one of those who has personally never really thought anything bad of 50-50 raffles. I don't put them on par with gambling. :)

Same here. I don't really equate them to gambling. I view it as a donation to a cause....

Well, I'm not Christian, but if you have an issue with this specific fundraiser, can you talk to whomever is runnning it to ask if you can make a donation in lieu of selling or something? That doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me, and if I were running the fundraising, I would not have a problem with someone choosing not to participate in one particular fundraiser on moral grounds.