Menu

Does anyone have any experience with this history DVD:

Pen

Mostly just bumping for you. The original link wasn't working, but hopefully this one will:

http://www.amazon.com/America-The-Story-Liev-Schreiber/dp/B003C27X44/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This series is available on DVD from Netflix, in case you're a subscriber. At one time it was available through Netflix Streaming, but doesn't seem to be offered that way currently. My DS10 and I enjoyed watching it together. Hopefully others will chime in for you.

What age kids? It is very fast paced, good graphics interesting narrator. However, the history is a bit sketchy? Some would say inaccurate. It does give an interesting overview and you could get into the particulars with good books. I haven't shown it to my kids (we own it) though since when I originally watched it I didn't have my 'mommy' eyes on KWIM. I might watch it again then decide for my kiddos.

We are actually watching it right now (we're on the second to last episode) and my 11yo has now declared American history to be his favorite subject, gotten Dad to agree to re-watch the series with him & begs to watch them everyday.

They're a good overview, given from a perspective that we don't usually hear (how inventions & economics drove the growth of our country). Some parts are a bit gory (war sections, Donner party, one on Al Capone...) but they contain some side stories as well.

See if your library has them. They are very engaging.

I've been looking at this too. Our library, which is GREAT, doesn't have it, so I'm trying to decide about buying it. No Netflix at our house either, so buying is the only option. Our DCs are young, but loooove American history. Go figure.

I'll be watching for more replies!

If you're hesitant about buying the entire DVD set, you might consider buying one episode (~ 44 minutes) via Amazon Instant Video for about two bucks. You can watch that on your computer, or stream via Roku to your TV, etc., and see if you like it. Interestingly, I noticed the DVD set price has gone up slightly just since this morning.

If you're hesitant about buying the entire DVD set, you might consider buying one episode (~ 44 minutes) via Amazon Instant Video for about two bucks. You can watch that on your computer, or stream via Roku to your TV, etc., and see if you like it.

Well, that's a good idea. I've never done streaming; this might be a good excuse to try it out!

Interestingly, I noticed the DVD set price has gone up slightly just since this morning.

Ok, this is just funny! Ha! :lol:

I really like it. My kids were interested and I let them watch some of it, but they were freaked out by the very real-looking blood & violence in the war shots (they are ages 8 & 9). There are guys getting shot, laying dead in streams with open eyes & gunshot wounds, etc. Not for kids who would be disturbed by that kind of thing. Of course, there are whole sections that are about the Revolutionary war, etc, so it is significant concern for some.

For older kids, it's an interesting overview and could really help pull their understanding of American history together. I enjoyed it.

Edited by TaraJo29