Menu

Please HELP me :(

I am homeschooling 4 children this year. This is my first year of homeschooling and I am feeling so overwhelmed :(

The problem I am having is that I have the 14 and 15 year olds doing flvs full time through a private umbrella school and they HATE it . They beg me to find another way of educating them.

I can not keep them focused or on track and they are falling behind pace.

They are on the computer ALL day and sometimes night with very little work turned in .....

I may keep flvs for a couple courses but have no idea what curriculum to use for the core of their education.

Suggestions please on curriculum ideas for 9-12th grade.

I just want to make sure I do not cheat them of an education.

PS. Homeschooling the younger ones ages 7 and 9 have been going great :)

Regards,

Susan Khan

I am homeschooling 4 children this year. This is my first year of homeschooling and I am feeling so overwhelmed :(

The problem I am having is that I have the 14 and 15 year olds doing flvs full time through a private umbrella school and they HATE it . They beg me to find another way of educating them.

I can not keep them focused or on track and they are falling behind pace.

They are on the computer ALL day and sometimes night with very little work turned in .....

I may keep flvs for a couple courses but have no idea what curriculum to use for the core of their education.

Suggestions please on curriculum ideas for 9-12th grade.

I just want to make sure I do not cheat them of an education.

PS. Homeschooling the younger ones ages 7 and 9 have been going great :)

Regards,

Susan Khan

What are you doing with the 7 and 9 year old?

Too much computer use is counter productive here too. I think my teens' brains turn off when they sit too long.

If you like the classical approach, borrow Susan Wise Bauer's book from the library. It has a ton of curriculum ideas with wonderful book suggestions. If you need to be more hands-off, maybe something a little more workbookish, pick something from Alpha Omega or Abeka. What subjects are you comfortable helping your children with and what would you rather have them as independent as possible (i.e. you look up the answer in a TM and correct their work)?

Your question is pretty broad. It would helpful if you narrowed it down.

Are you looking for secular, or do you want/mind something with a Christian worldview?

Which subjects would you consider keeping from FLVS? You don't necessarily have to change everything at once. Choose the subject that's causing the most trouble first. For example, if they hate the math, ask us about math options. Or do a search on the forum for math suggestions.

Try not to panic. I know it's hard when things aren't working, especially when they get to the high school level, but it's only the end of September. Plenty of time to get things fixed for you and your kids.

Our family really likes FLVS, but through trial-and-error we have found that 3 is the maximum number of FLVS classes our kids can successfully complete at one time. Otherwise, it is not just too much computer time but also too much scheduling time: monthly calls, discussion-based assessments, collaborative projects, oral reviews, student off-pace phone calls, etc, etc. :) It does become overwhelming and never-ending for the student.

What classes are your high schoolers taking? It would be easier to suggest alternative curriculum if the actual subjects you are needing are known.

Your question is pretty broad. It would helpful if you narrowed it down.

I agree.

I'll begin from the presumption that you chose the classes you did through FLVS because you or your students thought those were appropriate subjects to study. Is that right?

If so, I'd start by decided which FLVS courses are working and keep just two or possible three of those. (Both of my kids have done some FLVS stuff, and we've found that many of their classes have work loads far too heavy for what is actually being taught.) Once those are selected, I'd move on to finding materials to replace the other FLVS classes.

For example, if your student is doing FLVS Algebra II and hates it, I'd drop that class and substitute a different algebra II curriculum. Then, on to the next subject.

If you can tell us which subjects you need curriculum for, and generally something about your approach to homeschooling (religious, secular, rigorous, relaxed, etc.), I'm sure a bunch of us would be happy to make suggestions.

Your older kids, that is. It worked for Abe Lincoln.

They can read tons of books for a week or two while you get sorted. All will be well, and nothing will blow up if you are not the perfect headmistress. You know them better than anyone else in the world. This is the pause button you need to restart.

Congratulations on throwing out something that does not work. That took more courage than deciding to HS.

Good luck. We've all had these attacks of self doubt, by the way, and lived to tell the tale.