Menu

List of writing assignments from your purchased curriculum (9th-10th)?

Ds took HS Composition through Laurel Tree Tutorials last year. The types and lengths of assignments are in my review here.

Over the course of the year, the students write:

• Personal Essay (3-6 pages)

• Persuasive Essay (3-6 pages)

• Definition Essay (2-5 pages) ex. Describe teamwork

• Short Story (6-12 pages)

• Research Paper (8-12 pages)

• Character Sketch (2-5 pages)

HTH!

DS used Oak Meadow Grade 9 Intro to Lit and Composition last year.

It had 5 literature units (Wizards of Earthsea, Our Town, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird and poetry) with vocab, reading comprehension questions, criticsl thinking questions and extension excercises (collages, historicsl research, etc) for each unit. Each unit culminated in a larger scale project, be it an essay or a performance from the play.

It seemed very light to me, but I think we could have workd more on essay revisions, etc.

In 9th and 10th grade my daughter used Kolbe's Great Books history and literature courses with their honors syllabus. She was required to write a two page paper in each class (one history, one lit) weekly, on a topic supplied by Kolbe and related to her readings.

During the same two years, she also took several Write at Home courses and was writing an average of six papers per semester for them (longer, with a couple of revisions each).

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

We are using EIL, Intro to Lit. It has 9 units. Each unit has shorter writing assignments such as an author profile and a longer writing assignment, 500 words is typical. Doing the "honors" assignments adds another short story and 8 more books and a final research paper. It feels well balanced and like a reasonable amount of work here.

ETA: To be a bit more specific:

Unit 1: Short stories each get a literature summary and there is a 300 word compare and contrast paper.

Units 2-4 have an Author Profile and a 500 word essay on topics related to each work.

Unit 5 has a 300 word assignment, an Author Profile and a 500 word essay.

Unit 6 an Author profile and 600 word essay

Unit 7 & 8 an Author profile and a choice of 2 650 word assignments

Unit 9 has an Author Profile, an approach paper and a 650 word essay.

All of the essays are on topics related to the literature read. I think one of the strengths of the program is the thoughtful writing assignments.

Edited by Momto2Ns

My 10th grader is using Lightning Literature Lit & Comp

Week 5 Opinion Paper

Week 8 Compare/Contrast of poetry by William Cullen Bryant

Week 13 Persuasive Writing - analyze arguments in newspaper editorial

Week 15 writing about tone in literary work

Week 21 essay on character conflict in The Scarlet Letter

Week 32 essay on character development in Moby Dick

Week 36 research paper possibly (we have several topics to choose from each week. I haven't decided on this topic yet.

The curriculum also gives you the option of choosing more than 1 topic in these given weeks.

In addition, my 10th grader to a 8 week SAT Essay Writing class through Time4Writing.com in Aug/Sept.

My 10th grader is using Lightning Literature Lit & Comp

Week 5 Opinion Paper

Week 8 Compare/Contrast of poetry by William Cullen Bryant

Week 13 Persuasive Writing - analyze arguments in newspaper editorial

Week 15 writing about tone in literary work

Week 21 essay on character conflict in The Scarlet Letter

Week 32 essay on character development in Moby Dick

Week 36 research paper possibly (we have several topics to choose from each week. I haven't decided on this topic yet.

Can you tell me the suggested lengths of these papers? I'm just curious to compare to the Jr High LL series. I thought LL7 & LL8 had very weak writing assignments and I have wondered if they improved in the high school courses.

Okay, so I put these together with some research I did as well, and here is what I came up with for 9th grade English (running a bit behind :D):

3 2 page context papers

3 page persuasive paper

8-10 page research paper

4-5 page compare and contrast

3 page character sketch

4-5 page literary analysis

4-5 page essay on symbolism

3 page topical essay on novel

2 page response to essay

2 page response to poetry

3 page definition paper

She also has papers in Chemistry and History, so hopefully that's enough.

Momto2Ns - I'm sorry I'm late on my reply. I've yet to figure out how to keep track of all the threads I make comments on.

I don't have the booklet in front of me but I don't think they stipulate length. I usually just have my kids write until they provide sufficient justification for her thesis. She hasn't completed the first assignment yet but if you are interested PM me and I'll send you the paper with my daughter's permission so you can see the type of assignments she is doing with this curriculum.