Menu

I feel railroaded

There are some situations at the Y that some people have been unhappy about. The other night a bunch of people were talking after a fitness class and I heard them call out, "Hey, Jean, we voted and you're in charge of getting a petition together to tell the people in charge what we want!" Everyone standing around agreed. The reason they chose me is that I'm the only non-immigrant in the group. They are mostly very good English speakers but do not feel comfortable writing something like this in English.

Here's my problem. I know a little bit of what is going on behind the scenes because the staff there have confided some in me. I know that some of the issues are beyond anyone's control - staffing issues etc. While I didn't tell them no to writing the petition, as I think about it, I think that a petition really isn't the right way to go about it because it isn't the kind of thing that you can force the staff to do. And yet, it is important for the staff to know what people want. I feel railroaded into this. I'm supposed to bring the petition to class tomorrow.

I guess I'd like your feedback on this.

Just tell them you've thought it over and you don't particularly like the idea of the petition. Perhaps they need to arrange a meeting with the "powers that be" at the Y, and lodge their complaints in person.

I don't think you need to be the fall guy for this.

:iagree:

Just tell them you've thought it over and you don't particularly like the idea of the petition. Perhaps they need to arrange a meeting with the "powers that be" at the Y, and lodge their complaints in person.

I don't think you need to be the fall guy for this.

Exactly. Why is it your job to try to solve their problems or issues? I assume they are adults and each of them probably know other native English speakers/writers in some capacity (work, church, etc.). They can write and have a friend edit if it's that important to them.

Maybe softly explain to them that writing a petition wouldn't be the first step - that they should try writing a letter/email or arranging a meeting to talk to the staff and voice their concerns. Perhaps if your classmates had the same insights as you do, they would understand the situation better. I'm definitely NOT saying you should pass along info that was confided to you, but saying something like "maybe you should ask the staff why they're not ____, first" might help.