Menu

Essential Oils - is there a workshop?

I would love to integrate the use of essential oils into our battles against allergies, respiratory illnesses, PMS miseries and teen angst. I honestly do not have time in my current busy schedule right now to go the read-and-sift-and-hunt-and-gather route, kwim?

So, I was wondering if any of you know of any places offer workshops? Something hands-on that would get me jump started? Maybe even a really good online tutorial with video?

Amy G., I wished I lived near you - you have it all figured out! I feel a bit overwhelmed, but really wanting to give this stuff a try.

Thnk you, that is very flattering, but it isn't the type of thing you ever completely figure out.

I don't know of any workshops, but one book I like a lot is "500 Formulas for Aromatherapy"

It can be expensive building up a supply of oils to blend with.

My mom and I both have this book and used it to get acquainted with essential oils and their uses. We've made a lot of the recipes and now are comfortable to use the oils in useful ways for ourselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Essential-Oils-Aromatherapy/dp/0931432820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348196746&sr=8-1&keywords=aromatherapy

(for some reason the coding on my reply box doesn't let me insert a word in place of the whole URL.. but it does let me do that from my iphone!)

My mom and I both have this book and used it to get acquainted with essential oils and their uses. We've made a lot of the recipes and now are comfortable to use the oils in useful ways for ourselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Essential-Oils-Aromatherapy/dp/0931432820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348196746&sr=8-1&keywords=aromatherapy

I have the same one and it's been very helpful. I'll look into the other one mentioned too, I'd love to have another good book on hand.

Thanks!

If I resort to a book, I'll look for the one you recommend, Amy.

I will spend some more on the YL site, thanks Heather, that's the one recommended by an IRL friend.

Anyone else with brilliant ideas..... this is me ----> :bigear:

FYI - the Young Living website information is...well...very generic. They have to be because the FDA gets their undies in a bunch if there is even a whiff that your "Hoozywhatsit" will do anything that sounds like it cures or treats *anything.*

If you can, find someone with an Essential Oils Desk Reference (probably a YL member). It is stuffed full of all kinds of information about essential oils, application, and uses. Although it is specifically Young Living oils. (If you happen to live in the N TX area, I'll be happy to loan you my book.)

As wonderful as the oils are, a healthy diet and good habits are equally important. Sometimes EOs can act like a magic bullet (lavender on a burn will instantly take the pain away no matter your fitness level), but they can't keep you from getting sick if you eat McDonald's three times a day. KWIM?

And while there are some ppl who are anti-conventional medicine, each person/family has to choose what is best for THEM. And if that means seeing a doctor or taking 'script meds, then that's okay too. EOs at least gives you another choice to consider.

Thanks for the book rec, UmMusa, I'll add that title to the list.

FYI - the Young Living website information is...well...very generic. They have to be because the FDA gets their undies in a bunch if there is even a whiff that your "Hoozywhatsit" will do anything that sounds like it cures or treats *anything.*

If you can, find someone with an Essential Oils Desk Reference (probably a YL member). It is stuffed full of all kinds of information about essential oils, application, and uses. Although it is specifically Young Living oils. (If you happen to live in the N TX area, I'll be happy to loan you my book.)

How kind! Unfortunately I am not even close.

As wonderful as the oils are, a healthy diet and good habits are equally important. Sometimes EOs can act like a magic bullet (lavender on a burn will instantly take the pain away no matter your fitness level), but they can't keep you from getting sick if you eat McDonald's three times a day. KWIM? Yes, I totally understand. We've been working on that, too.

And while there are some ppl who are anti-conventional medicine, each person/family has to choose what is best for THEM. And if that means seeing a doctor or taking 'script meds, then that's okay too. EOs at least gives you another choice to consider. This is what I am thinking - another line of defense. We are not anti-conventional, I just want to be sure I am proactive about as much as I can be before going to pharmaceuticals. I've seen too many people I love swallow too many pills over too many years...

Thanks again, everybody! You have been very helpful.