Menu

The bathroom redo has begun...

A Little Update:

COLORS! It's making my head spin...so I thought I had it all planned out, white cabinets, sand colored walls, the little blueish sink...and then I see pics of greyish cabinets...heaven help me!

What's a girl to do?

Recap: the sink is blue-has to stay. The trim and doors are the typical contractors white. The floor is a linoleum with shades of mostly grey and white and a similar shade of blue, like the sink in small little 1 1/2" squares here and there (the blue is just sprinkled throughout). It's actually not bad and in good shape. I will replace it with tile, just not right now, but that's easy to figure out once I have the other stuff done.

So light grey cabinets, even lighter gray walls...or white walls...or white cabinets, grey walls...white cabinets, sand walls...I even picked up a light green shaded paint chip that was a color in the curtain I bought...an accent color maybe, paint the mirror that shade? DD suggested the walls, lol! I'm not so sure. Goodness I think I'm making this hard on myself, lol! I just want it to look good...

Oh and the ONE thing I really needed to get today, Wood filler...I forgot to put on my list the three times I was thinking about it and still forgot to pick it up because I got hung up in the paint department! :glare:

And this is the shower curtain, although you can't tell, it has two shades of thin green lines as well as the blue ones and the white is not bright...it would go good with a beachy theme...but I just saw another curtain on there I think I'd like better, lol..figures!

For those that helped me delve into the cabinet painting process and for those that are thinking about it, I started yesterday and it's going fairly easy and fast so far.

I took all the cabinets and hardware off. Removed the drawers. I covered all the varnished surfaces with the remover. This stuff works great! It's a deglosser by Kwik Strip. Amazing stuff! So much so that we are thinking of stripping the floors with it and then staining the floors a little darker...but that's down the road a bit, lol.

So then I caulked the joints between the sets of cabinets and along the wall areas so that when I paint those spaces would no longer show. Ds and I took down the mirror (one of those giant 80's ones) and at this time I plan to purchase a new one and paint it like the cabinets or I plan to frame the other one...not real sure yet.

I need to get some wood filler for the holes and I'm looking at towel bars, faucets and the like today. I will also pick up the Kilz and paint while there, but I can't paint outdoors until it warms up again possibly this weekend. All of the doors and drawers are out there.

Here are a few pictures...

Before:

post-32706-13535087561014_thumb.jpg

During:

post-32706-13535087562213_thumb.jpg

Don't mind the white blotch. That is the paint color that I picked out. It's not as yellowish as it looks. It's actually Polar White. The walls are yellow, cabinets brown and the warm bulbs just make it even more yellowy/orange in there.

The deglosser leaves behind this chalky like residue which you can paint right over. Hubby thought that was odd. He wondered if it stayed on there and I told him no that it came off (hence the round spot on the cabinet side, lol). It wipes clean and leaves the wood natural.

The fun part is the painting and rehanging, lol. I do not look forward to that. It was also recommended to buy this stuff that you add to your paint to keep from having brush strokes show on the cabinets. I plan to use that as well. I'd like them to be nice and smooth.

I'll update more as I keep working.

post-32706-13535087560511_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087561661_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087560511_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087561014_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087561661_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087562213_thumb.jpg

Edited by CountryGirl2

It looks great! We are getting ready to redo our bathroom as well but we can't decide if we want to keep the original claw foot tub or replace it so we haven't started yet. There is also no storage in our bathroom at all so I'm envious of your cabinets!! We need to figure out how to get some in our bathroom.

Can't wait to see your finished product :001_smile:

yay--have fun! I painted a gazillion cabinets to get our old house ready to sell (all 3 bathrooms and the kitchen ones).....and now all the bathroom cabinets in our NEW house need painting (the kitchen, fortunately, had already been updated). I will watch your progress to build up my inspiration level :)

I don't know if you'll get this before you paint, but will post the tip anyway.

You can avoid brush marks if you use a mini-sponge roller. First use a small brush to do the details and cracks/crevices. Then go over all with a mini-paint roller. I find the ones that look like a smooth sponge are best for this.

Yeah the guy at Home Depot recommended the same thing. He has painted many a cabinet, :tongue_smilie: and was excited to tell me about all the little details of what not to do and how to make it look good.