Menu

Cub and Boy Scout Leaders- Co-Leader Q

Soror

I'm specifically looking for input from those involved in Boy/Cub Scouting. As to not give bias I'll try to keep this simple.

- How many leaders do your dens usually have?

- Are those leaders set up as Co-Leaders? If so how are tasks and leadership responsibilities delegated?

- If there is a leader and assistant, instead of Co-Leaders, how are tasks and responsibilities delegated?

I'm a little peeved about something but being newish to scouting I want to make sure my thoughts are in-line with policy and tradition.

TIA!

There is (usually) one den leader, and then an assistant to take up the slack when the leader has to miss something. In about 80% of dens, the den leader sets the program with some input from parents and the assistant.

In a leader/assistant situation, the assistant is usually tasked with duties by the den leader, but the assistant can certainly request activities/duties that they feel they are best at. Usually the den leader runs meetings up front, while the assistant helps out in the back (i.e. keeping boys on task, putting out fires, etc.)

I have seen dens that had co-leaders sharing the work 50/50 - but this only seems to work well with two laid back people who don't have control issues, IYKWIM.

I have seen dens that had co-leaders sharing the work 50/50 - but this only seems to work well with two laid back people who don't have control issues, IYKWIM.

Thank you for the info- and I do know what you mean about control issues, sigh.

Also, I forgot what is the official requirements for training for Scout Leaders?

I have a Cub Scout. There is one den leader. If she can't do a meeting, she usually just reschedules it (we don't have a set time/day for den meetings), but when they were Tigers and used to do den meetings right before a pack meeting, she would just get one of the other moms to take over if she couldn't make it. I thnk that happened once or twice.

I'm specifically looking for input from those involved in Boy/Cub Scouting. As to not give bias I'll try to keep this simple.

- How many leaders do your dens usually have?

- Are those leaders set up as Co-Leaders? If so how are tasks and leadership responsibilities delegated?

- If there is a leader and assistant, instead of Co-Leaders, how are tasks and responsibilities delegated?

I'm a little peeved about something but being newish to scouting I want to make sure my thoughts are in-line with policy and tradition.

TIA!

Our Cub dens (two sons went through Scouts) varied. Some years, it was Leader and Assistant, other years it was two co-leaders. When dh was leader, he had an assistant. Dh was responsible for planning, etc with the assistant backing him up as needed, especially with paperwork.The assistants varied over the years, some helped more with planning than others. When I did it, I did it as a co-leader, where we took turns, usually by the month, for planning and implementing. All of the above was with the same pack.

Well, last year we did Tigers and it was switched around every few months. It was a colossal mess. People who originally signed up to lead weren't really committed and then just stopped really attending. One guy who did a lot of the first meetings didn't actually follow the requirements by the time dh and I took over in Dec our boys had not completed any requirements and nothing was tracked. It was a nightmare to straighten out and we had to work hard to schedule everything to get done by Blue and Gold.

We were told by the CM that dh would be the leader this year and we wouldn't have to mess with this back and forth business. Dh is the only one that has done any training at all and the others aren't interested in training and show little interest in the program as it is. Now the other guy is supposed to be an assistant but had it in his head that him and his ex-wife were going to do the whole first half of the year. Now dh is doing the first 2 months and then he is doing the next 2.

I want to go to CM and ask are they supposed to be co-leaders or is he supposed to be the assistant. My preference would be that Dh plan out the meetings with he and his wife being delegated tasks to help out each meeting and fill-in in the case dh cannot make it. I don't trust him to work us towards advancement as I said they did some whacked out things last year, I'm not even sure where they got their ideas from. Besides the fact that this guy is a HUGE jerk (he made several insulting comments to dh about him having money and how poor we must be and such- he's lucky I didn't punch him) and it would be preferable to not work with him period but I don't see getting around that.

So, the roles are not exactly clear and it is driving me nuts but dh wants to be more laissez faire about it all, although he cannot stand him either. I wanted to see if there was any standard. I think we just need to talk to her about it. I know she doesn't want to shut out parents that want to be involved but I also don't want someone to be in charge of something and royally screw it up as he doesn't seem to have a personal investment besides wanting a power trip. I really wish it was just his wife wanting to help, I really like her and dh could work with her well I think. Last year I was dh's assistant on the meetings we did but this year I'm leading an AHG group, also with our CM, who is the coordinator of our AHG group and I cannot do both as the times overlap and with set-up and clean-up I won't be available.

Edited by soror

Dh is CubMaster. He is also Den Leader (not ideal, but you do what you have to do.) He has an assistant. All of our Dens are set up with one leader and one or more assistants.

From what I have seen/heard from our den and from networking at trainings and round tables, a den with *one* consistent leader all the way through seems to end up moving on with more boys left than one that had different leaders. It's really important to have someone connect with the boys, learn about them, become involved in their growth into young men, etc.

Dh is CubMaster. He is also Den Leader (not ideal, but you do what you have to do.) He has an assistant. All of our Dens are set up with one leader and one or more assistants.

From what I have seen/heard from our den and from networking at trainings and round tables, a den with *one* consistent leader all the way through seems to end up moving on with more boys left than one that had different leaders. It's really important to have someone connect with the boys, learn about them, become involved in their growth into young men, etc.

I don't like the inconsistency issue either. Especially as the one guy doesn't really connect to the kids. It was really, really less than ideal last year and I don't want a repeat of that. I think partially though I should keep my mouth shut as it is more to do with dh since I cannot be there this year but we got involved with scouts for a reason and I want ds to have a good experience and work the program. I tend to be much more assertive than dh though and have a closer relationship with the CM. Dh definitely works better as the boys leader though and I don't want to take that role from him.

I am a Cubmaster and district trainer.

Dens, with the exception of Tiger, have one den leader and one or more Assistant Den Leaders (ADLs). Although co-leading can be done is not recommended. Webelos may have two den leaders, if the den divides into 1rst and 2nd year dens.

Tigers have one Den Leader and the parents or adult partners help co-lead the den. The Tiger leader keeps the den on track for advancement while parent/boy teams take turns leading the meeting.

Training: Varies between districts but the standards from national are Youth Protection and Den Leader Specific training. Youth protection must be completed before the leader can even register and before they are left to lead a den. Both trainings can be completed online at myscouting.org

In the field packs do operate differently than the guidebook ideal, and usually that's fine. If there is an issue it's best to follow the chain of command: Den leader, Cubmaster, Committee Chair. If it reaches the chair and nothing is being done and the problem is bothersome enough, it may be necessary to switch packs to one more in alignment with your needs and preferences because rarely will anyone from the district intervene in an individual pack unless youth are in danger and the chair is pretty much as high as you can go within the pack.

I am a Cubmaster and district trainer.

Dens, with the exception of Tiger, have one den leader and one or more Assistant Den Leaders (ADLs). Although co-leading can be done is not recommended. Webelos may have two den leaders, if the den divides into 1rst and 2nd year dens.

Tigers have one Den Leader and the parents or adult partners help co-lead the den. The Tiger leader keeps the den on track for advancement while parent/boy teams take turns leading the meeting.

Training: Varies between districts but the standards from national are Youth Protection and Den Leader Specific training. Youth protection must be completed before the leader can even register and before they are left to lead a den. Both trainings can be completed online at myscouting.org

In the field packs do operate differently than the guidebook ideal, and usually that's fine. If there is an issue it's best to follow the chain of command: Den leader, Cubmaster, Committee Chair. If it reaches the chair and nothing is being done and the problem is bothersome enough, it may be necessary to switch packs to one more in alignment with your needs and preferences because rarely will anyone from the district intervene in an individual pack unless youth are in danger and the chair is pretty much as high as you can go within the pack.

thanks for your info. I don't want to go beyond our CM, we are invested in this pack and I don't want to cause friction. I just wanted to get some perspective before approaching her as I don't think the co-leader is ideal and especially not in this situation. I want to think of how we can work out the Asst. issue though. Although, I'd prefer not to work with him I see that as not possible so I want to think of how he and dh can work together as best as possible.