Menu

Assignment Bumping w/HST Online

I've been playing with the rescheduling tool on HST, but is there any way to bump everything down a day, either by subject or by the day? I've annoyed myself by putting too many lessons into the scheduler, and if I have to reschedule the whole doggone subject every time an assignment goes long or we have an unexpected field trip opportunity...well.

Am I missing a simple bump feature? It seems like someone would have asked for it a long time ago, so I feel like I'm being obtuse.

I just started using hst online so I went to test something out. I was able to do a big reschedule by using the agenda list view.

In the Agenda list view I clicked the "description" heading so that it moved things so all the same subject were together for all the kids.

Then I selected the items I wanted to move

Then I More at the top and chose reschedule from the drop down list

Then you can pick the day options ( I picked "daily" so it would move things all one day)

then at the bottom I picked which day I wanted to use as the new start date for the assignments.

Clicked preview and was able to see the assignments and what day they were supposed to be on and then what day they would be moved to.

If that all looks good then you can click "accept selected items" and that should move them all to the new days.

HTH a little at least. I looked into OLLY since I just got my macbook, but didn't want to have to re-enter all the lesson plans I had made for HST+ and was able to import to HST online.

PS here's a link to something I found in the users manual http://online.homeschooltracker.com/help/reschedule.aspx

I looked into OLLY since I just got my macbook, but didn't want to have to re-enter all the lesson plans I had made for HST+ and was able to import to HST online.

That's EXACTLY where I'm at. Thank you! I will try that. Honestly, I'm so sick of doing workarounds and counting out days instead of being able to say, "I want to schedule this book every Monday, and that one on Tuesdays and Thursdays" that I have little tolerance for any additional challenges.

Bumping this thread because I'm still just...so frustrated. We went on a field trip Friday, and then got stomach flu over the weekend. I'm trying so hard not to end up with a colossal traffic jam on HST, but I've got a list of undone assignments, and I need to say, "We didn't do school that day. Bump everything down." and I CAN'T.

My homeschool planner should NOT be worse to deal with than the actual vomiting child who needs me to bump his work.

Quick, somebody tell me where the easy button is! I totally cannot understand why such a popular planner would lack this simple tool.

Bumping this thread because I'm still just...so frustrated. We went on a field trip Friday, and then got stomach flu over the weekend. I'm trying so hard not to end up with a colossal traffic jam on HST, but I've got a list of undone assignments, and I need to say, "We didn't do school that day. Bump everything down." and I CAN'T.

My homeschool planner should NOT be worse to deal with than the actual vomiting child who needs me to bump his work.

Quick, somebody tell me where the easy button is! I totally cannot understand why such a popular planner would lack this simple tool.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question but if I am correct it is very easy. Just highlight all the assignments (you click on your first one and hold the shift button down until you are at the last one) and right click and choose reschedule. On the top right will be a date to begin. You choose the day and all the assignments will reschedule correspondingly. i.e. all the Mondays will move to Tuesday and all the Tuesdays to Wednesday etc.

Right there with you! I want to like HST+, but it is driving me mad. I'm sticking it with it for now because I haven't liked any of the alternatives I've tried any better (and because of all the hours I've spent inputting lesson plans). I suspect I would have been happier just using it as a tracker for completed items, instead of using it to do actual planning.

I'm a hair away from trying Well-Planned Day. I've looked at Olly and done the free trial, but it's not grabbing me.

Here's the problem with just highlighting and rescheduling everything: I ended up doing this big stupid workaround to get certain books scheduled on certain days, not realizing that the only way to do that if I was ever going to reschedule was to make each resource a separate subject, and assign days of the week for those subjects on the Student's page.

UUUURGH. And you know what? I just went and looked at the student page for my daughter to make sure I wasn't misspeaking, and I can't even set days of the week on there, can I? It's "every ____ days". Which is the whole problem. If I have something scheduled for T/Th and we skip one day, it will offset it to M/W/F. So I have to reschedule them subject by subject. Between three kids at three grade levels, that's pretty time consuming, when the programmers could just make a day setting and design the macro to bump that subject to the next scheduled day, right? Even so, I tried to go in last week and do that, and now today I've got multiple handwriting and spelling assignments for each kid on 10/1...who knows why? What I DO know is I don't want to figure it out. I've had to send kids with questions about their work away while I wrestle with this. So not worth it.

I am just not seeing how this is an improvement over a paper planner.

I do feel your pain. :grouphug:

Personally, I think I was spoiled. We used Connections Academy for 2 years (one for kid 1, one for kid 2) and their scheduler, while not entirely perfect, was the best program I've ever tried. I've been comparing everything I see to it, and nothing comes close.

If so highlight everything you want moved. Right click and go to reschedule. Chose the first date and then click the box where is says "manually move to chosen days" (or something like that) and click the days you want to chose. If you don't use the manual box then it gets messy, in my opinion.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question but if I am correct it is very easy. Just highlight all the assignments (you click on your first one and hold the shift button down until you are at the last one) and right click and choose reschedule. On the top right will be a date to begin. You choose the day and all the assignments will reschedule correspondingly. i.e. all the Mondays will move to Tuesday and all the Tuesdays to Wednesday etc.

:iagree:I use this feature all the time as life and school collide. It is one of the things I really like about HST+ is how easy it is to move things around.

I gave up on HST Online for that reason too. I finally figured out how the program worked, and then I realized it doesn't allow for the flexibility I need. Their solution for bumping is to not schedule out too far in advance. :001_huh:

So I'm continuing with my old, never going to be updated and doesn't work with Windows 7, program. I just hope that there will be another, better option by the time I'm forced to change.

In order to reschedule without a complete mess in HST online (or plus for that matter) you have to be willing to use the lesson planning feature rather than just plugging your assignments way ahead into the agenda. If you use the lesson planning feature you can plan as far in advance as you want and just "feed" the assignments into the agenda as you go. I do mine weekly. If we have a unscheduled day off where I need to bump everything up and just select all those assignment scheduled and change the day by one.

If you are actually adding assignments directly to the agenda way in advance, or feeding a lot of advance assignments into the agenda from the lesson plans, it would be very difficult to adjust all the assignments forward. A week at a time, transferred from the lessons plans, is not hard to deal with.

:iagree:I use this feature all the time as life and school collide. It is one of the things I really like about HST+ is how easy it is to move things around.

I deleted all the assignments from the agenda past Oct. 5 and tried this...I think on Friday? And now I have double assignments. I am positive I chose the dates correctly. I'm going to try Charleigh's suggestion, but I just find the whole thing awkward.

I'd love some sort of "expand all/collapse" all, too, or some sort of daily view that's actually attractive/easy to look at. And is there someplace I can set master controls to quit reducing the number of visible assignments to a list of ten? I'm so tired of doing it by hand every. single. time. Sigh.

I deleted all the assignments from the agenda past Oct. 5 and tried this...I think on Friday? And now I have double assignments. I am positive I chose the dates correctly. I'm going to try Charleigh's suggestion, but I just find the whole thing awkward.

I'd love some sort of "expand all/collapse" all, too, or some sort of daily view that's actually attractive/easy to look at. And is there someplace I can set master controls to quit reducing the number of visible assignments to a list of ten? I'm so tired of doing it by hand every. single. time. Sigh.

I'm on my phone so I'm doing this from memory. To change you list from 10 items to more. You pick how many at the bottom, but to make sure it doesn't revert back to 10. You have to choose "save grid options" from the side menu before you do anything else.

I also hate that I can't have a lesson plan schedule for all the kids in hst online I don't like that its done by child. I also don't like that you can't reschedule to their preset schedule, you can only pick daily, monthly, spread evenly. I do like the program but it's not as easy as hst+ for me. Unfortunately I don't like Olly and I don't want to pay for windows to use in bootcamp or pa for parallels.

Edited by nukeswife

I'm on my phone so I'm doing this from memory. To change you list from 10 items to more. You pick how many at the bottom, but to make sure it doesn't revert back to 10. You have to choose "save grid options" from the side menu before you do anything else.

Ooh, OK. So maybe it reverted before I actually moved them, and I didn't realize...Can I permanently save it to display more than ten items using "save grid options"?

Ooh, OK. So maybe it reverted before I actually moved them, and I didn't realize...Can I permanently save it to display more than ten items using "save grid options"?

That's how it worked for me. I was on the list screen then picked 150 items per page then picked save grid options and so far it's stayed at 150 items a page.

OMM, nukeswife, that worked!

OK, so here's the thing I'm still feeling obtuse about. I can preset days for a course? Or a subject? But not a lesson plan? What if we do Language Arts 5x a week, but we only do Caesar's English three of those days? Then what? I've made a separate Lesson Plan for Caesar's English II, but of course that did no good, b/c I can't set days for a lesson plan. So, I have to add Caesar's English II as a whole separate subject or course before I can specify days? Why? It isn't one.

OMM, nukeswife, that worked!

OK, so here's the thing I'm still feeling obtuse about. I can preset days for a course? Or a subject? But not a lesson plan? What if we do Language Arts 5x a week, but we only do Caesar's English three of those days? Then what? I've made a separate Lesson Plan for Caesar's English II, but of course that did no good, b/c I can't set days for a lesson plan. So, I have to add Caesar's English II as a whole separate subject or course before I can specify days? Why? It isn't one.

Yes you would have to set it up as a separate course to do a preset for that.

For instance I have all of my LA broken down to different courses of grammar, spelling, writing, phonics, reading, penmanship, typing and literature. You also have to set up the preset for each child individually, it is much more difficult to do "lesson plan schedules" in HST online than it was in HST+ which is one of the things I like least. It seems to me they did this because then the lesson plan kept track of which child used it so you don't have to go back and mark them as unused like in HST+ but like I said I'm not real fond of that.

I like hst online, but wish it was easier to make the transition from hst+, it really is like learning a whole new program.

I'm redoing it all now. At least I know I'm not a crazy person. Part of the reason I was excited about the online is b/c so many people had liked the desktop version...I said on fb yesterday that I feel like I let a bunch of Microsoft guys into my house to stand around and act snide. It's just not very user friendly.