Menu

ANyone else have problems getting service people to call back, etc.?

Whatever the economic problems are in many parts of the country, all I can figure is that service workers aren't lacking for jobs. We have lived here for a bit over a year. I haven't been able to find even one electrician to do a quote when we are looking at getting over 3K work done. I called tree people and I only had one call back and he did the job. I called two plumbers and one never called back. Now I will see if the gas repair guy will call back. OH and I still have to find an electrician who actually wants to work.

What happened with the electricians was we had three come out. We specifically asked for an estimate by the job so we could make sure we could afford it- some we are happy to do later. It is a fairly large job- add another whole panel, rewire some of the things to the new panel, add 240 outlets in the garage, add some more regular outlets too, add a lightening suppressor, add a hard wired fire detector in the garage that would be suitable in an environment with dust. One guy sent us a sloppy estimate with a total price but not really saying what he would do. THe other two didn't bother to send anything. I just hate having to do this.

I've seen it here. Our area was heavily damaged by a hail storm, so I knew all roofers were swamped. I did expect basic business manners. The company that roofed our house 6 months before the storm, canceled and rescheduled estimates 3 times and then never called back. I did hire someone else.

We have had the exact same experience in Phoenix. We keep saying to one another "What bad economy ?"

We wanted to switch our electric range over to gas, we have gas heat, gas hot water, gas fireplace, and a gas pool heater, so we wanted to make the switch for the range. We called at least 12 plumbers, we had 4 call us back. We have had this same problem with everything from pest control to A/C repair people.

Augh! This is so frustrating to me. I live in central VA, and I run into this all the time. We had electric work to do for about $2-3k, and I couldn't get anyone to even call me back! I understand that I don't "sound like I'm from around here," that I don't go to church with your cousin, and that I don't know your neighbor from when we went to high school together, but I still need work done! My old neighbor who has a clearly, "not from around here" accent also can get no one to return her calls.

The only solution I've found is to find a couple of people who are fairly well connected in the city, ask for recommendations, and mention the person who referred them by name in the voice mail. :glare: