Menu

The thing about TOG and the socratic method is....

lea1

The one thing that really, reallllllly draws me to TOG is all of the information they provide the teacher. I have done enough research that I believe I can successfully learn to use the socratic method with my sons to analyze a book. But, here is the issue. It seems to me that one would still need to have a higher level understanding of where they want to lead a conversation, in order to use the socratic method to be able to discuss world views, cultures, etc. To me, it seems this is the information that TOG provides in the teacher's pages. This is the type of information that I am concerned I would not be able to come up with on my own. At the same time, I am not all that crazy about the rest of TOG.:glare: Is there any other history curriculum that provides the same type of information as TOG provides in their teacher's notes?

Call me crazy, but your kids are not yet 7? At this stage you aren't expecting socratic discussions. You just fill their minds with stories. The way Marcia Somerville puts it is "Trust much to the reading of good books." Don't put more stress on yourself than you need to. Those notes are enough to help you teach at the high school level. Your kids just need whatever fascinates them and acquaints them and gives them a handshake with the topics. Handshake, no deep philosophical discussions yet. It's pretty much impossible for you to screw up, honest. If you don't do it perfectly this time, it gets done better next time around, no biggee. :)

Call me crazy, but your kids are not yet 7? At this stage you aren't expecting socratic discussions. You just fill their minds with stories. The way Marcia Somerville puts it is "Trust much to the reading of good books." Don't put more stress on yourself than you need to. Those notes are enough to help you teach at the high school level. Your kids just need whatever fascinates them and acquaints them and gives them a handshake with the topics. Handshake, no deep philosophical discussions yet. It's pretty much impossible for you to screw up, honest. If you don't do it perfectly this time, it gets done better next time around, no biggee. :)

You're not crazy and neither am I.:lol: I am not trying to have nor expecting to have socratic discussions right now. I am thinking about which way I want to go with my history curriculum long term, so I have been researching it. I am also thinking about what I need to learn to prepare myself so I will be able to teach it.

Edited by Lea in OK

If there is, I haven't seen it yet:-(

Have you looked at Teaching the Classics? It is a video series/book that really was you through the process. But, you would still need to read the books:tongue_smilie:

What is it about TOG that you don't care for?

Funny enough, our local Mardel's just had Andrew Pudewa speak a couple of weeks ago and he was selling Teaching the Classics while he was there so I bought it. I have started it but just the beginning so I have a ways to go.

I have been using TOG's book selections along with those from SOTW. I like SOTW selections better, although sometimes they overlap. SOTW frequently has more to choose from also. I don't know that I would use the writing assignments from TOG. I like having lesson plans laid out for me. Then again, I am only a year and a half into our homeschooling journey. By the time we finish the SOTW series, I may be more comfortable with TOG.

It is likely that I am trying to make this decision to early in our journey. I had hoped to purchase TOG early on and use it now but, at this time, we are really enjoying SOTW. I should probably wait until we have finished with SOTW4 and try using TOG Yr1 (which I already have) for 5th grade and see how it goes then before I purchase any of the the other years.

The one thing that really, reallllllly draws me to TOG is all of the information they provide the teacher. I have done enough research that I believe I can successfully learn to use the socratic method with my sons to analyze a book. But, here is the issue. It seems to me that one would still need to have a higher level understanding of where they want to lead a conversation, in order to use the socratic method to be able to discuss world views, cultures, etc. To me, it seems this is the information that TOG provides in the teacher's pages. This is the type of information that I am concerned I would not be able to come up with on my own. At the same time, I am not all that crazy about the rest of TOG.:glare: Is there any other history curriculum that provides the same type of information as TOG provides in their teacher's notes?

TOGs teacher notes are from World book. You could just read that or SWBs history series to prep for your discussion. However, the Thinking and Accountability question prepare the students for the discussion. They are very helpful.

TOGs teacher notes are from World book. You could just read that or SWBs history series to prep for your discussion. However, the Thinking and Accountability question prepare the students for the discussion. They are very helpful.

That's good to know. I will have to look at the Thinking and Accountability questions again. It's been a while since I looked at anything other than the booklist.

Ah, yes. I totally see what you mean now. It has been quite a while since I took a look at anything other than LG. Looking at all of the Thinking and Accountability questions in R is very eye-opening. I think I will begin getting excited about TOG all over again.:lol:

Thanks for your help.

Have you looked at Teaching the Classics? It is a video series/book that really was you through the process. But, you would still need to read the books:tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I didn't think I would get much out of Teaching the Classics because we have always used real books, but we all have really enjoyed it.