Menu

Globe Fearon/Pearson Science and History

CyndiLJ

I am wondering if anyone is using Globe Fearon textbooks, and if so, are you liking them? We have a situation with one learning in 8th grade who is standard, 3 others actually his age who are special needs in our family. I am looking for a text that is lower reading level but not dumbed down content, as our special needs mainly are language learning issues, 3 years post adoption. My 8th grader is lonely learning most subjects alone so I am trying to find content that works both ways, if that is possible. Would love to hear from anyone.

Cindy

I have Globe Fearon Life Science and I think it could be a good fit for your situation. My ds with special needs just turned 11 so the text is still over his head but I've thought about using it in a few years. It's not colorful at all--which could be a good thing. I have an older edition, though, so newer may be different. The text is definitely simpler.

Carolyn

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses. I think Globe Fearon merged with Pearson and they DO have a newer line of books called AGS, so maybe that is their new offering in that category. I will check it out!

We were going to use Power Basics, as it meets our needs for the language level, but it just felt over simplified for us...we really do need to find texts that hit our "sweet spot", which is actually fairly narrow and what makes it super hard.

Off to look at AGS...

Cindy

I have a Pearson Chemistry book that I think is quite good. It is in a box, so not sure if it says Globe Fearon or AGS or what. It did not have colorful pictures, but did have easier text, but still with good content. However, I'd say the content is middle school level and might not be best fit for a std. grade 8er? But perhaps it would be a good match for all and then some extra materials also? Or audio-visual materials? I'd found, but now lost track of, a source for virtual labs on computer that had seemed like they might work for my son in a year or two. And on main curriculum board in a science thread someone posted about You Tube videos, and I thought that might be a big help --especially where there are language issues.