Menu

Dr. Hive...please help with gut issues

I had several episodes of what appeared to be food poisoning that landed me in the hospital during my last pregnancy. I was eating more whey and eggs in an attempt to up my protein, and it turns out I am allergic to those things- I guess by eating larger amounts of them my body just reached its allergic threshold and now I cannot handle ANY dairy or eggs (even a small, small amount). :(

My midwife put me through intensive allergy testing and sure enough, I am severely allergic to dairy and eggs. It also showed I was allergic to wheat and peanuts but I eventually added those back in since I didn't notice any symptoms and I didn't want my diet to have to be so restricted after only eating chicken and rice for about 3 months straight. :glare:

Well I guess I've been eating too much peanut butter because now I am getting the same food poisoning symptoms after I eat peanut butter.

I guess I'm wondering if I should try something drastic like the GAPS diet to try to heal my gut? Or just accept that these are food allergies and avoid them for the rest of my life? I have Hashimoto's so clearly there is autoimmune stuff going on. I REALLY would rather not do the GAPS diet, drinking gelatinous chicken broth sounds so gross to me, but it seems my diet is getting more and more limited all the time anyway. WDYT?

The good news is that diets like GAPS and SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) are temporary. You shouldn't have to eat that way forever. I'd do as much reading as I could on the topic - nutritional and natural ways of healing your system, and then put together a do-able plan. Giving yourself time to put together a plan over a few weeks will make it seem much less overwhelming. :grouphug:

Thank you all for the suggestions. There was just so many things I cut out all at once- gluten being one of them, and I was off of it for a good 3 months at least. I added it back in because my diet was SO restricted and I didn't notice any changes at ALL. But I will think about taking it out again. Sigh.

Before you rule out GAPS, I might suggest getting the book and reading up on it. It has accomplished miraculous outcomes for some people, and could result in you being able to eat dairy and eggs again without problems. Gut health is so important, and your sensitivities are indicative of a poor functioning gut.

My dear friend is a nutritional therapist, and she is AWESOME at guiding peopel through these issues. She offers a free consult! (and no, I'm not getting a kick back for the referral...just wanting to offer a good resource. :)

Here's her website: http://www.seasonjohnson.com/

Before you rule out GAPS, I might suggest getting the book and reading up on it. It has accomplished miraculous outcomes for some people, and could result in you being able to eat dairy and eggs again without problems. Gut health is so important, and your sensitivities are indicative of a poor functioning gut.

My dear friend is a nutritional therapist, and she is AWESOME at guiding peopel through these issues. She offers a free consult! (and no, I'm not getting a kick back for the referral...just wanting to offer a good resource. :)

Here's her website: http://www.seasonjohnson.com/

Thank you, I will check that out!