Menu

Time for teacher education?

PollyOR

We are schooling year around here, and I'm running into a problem as my children get older. I need to study/read to stay ahead of my oldest daughter, but there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. By the time they are in bed all I want to do is veg.

I'm assuming that many homeschooling parents use summer time to read ahead etc. How do you fit it in if you homeschool year around?

TIA! Polly

No, I do not stay ahead of my 13yodd. I can't. I choose programs that I trust, and I tend to research books she's reading (usually looking at the worst amazon reviews of each).

My goal for her is to eventually be doing much of her schoolwork on her own. She's past a point where I can really "teach" her, although we can mutually discuss.

I use summer to step up my own personal reading!

I just can't, to the extent that I would ideally like to, so I work within my own limitations.

I do usually have some kids literature next to my bed to stay ahead to some extent- so I have pre-read some of their books- and it provides good bedtime reading- in fact, sometimes it is really good reading and I can't put the book down.

I also have an afternoon rest time, and I usually do nap, but I also read during that time, and I am more awake then than the evenings so it is a better time for me to "study" more difficult books.

And yes, I do use all of our holiday times to read ahead a bit. But its never really enough, so we just make do.

I use math taught on CD (although I admit that I do the watch the lessons with ds and do the work so I can help him if he needs it). I specifically look for curriculum that does not require me to plan in advance. The most I do is look over the next day's work each day, usually as he finishes up each subject each day. I just give the next day's lessons a quick once-over. If the literature is unfamiliar, I may read a synopsis or thumb through the book to make sure it is acceptable. I have only been homeschooling for 2 years, but I have found that choosing curriculum that has done all the planning for you is easiest, especially for us since I am terrible at getting organized. With all the great curriculum, you are bound to find some that fit the way you want your kids to learn while giving you your freedom.

I choose it over other things. I don't spend a lot of time on the things many women do - scrapbooking, shopping, etc.

No T.V.

I delegate many chores to my 10 and 12 yo dd. They take an almost equal share with me in the housework, which is also great training for them.

I have two main time periods. One is when I am done teaching all of their lessons, and they are doing independent work. I think it is good for them to see me also reading and writing. The other is in the evening after they are in bed. Dh and I spend a few hours reading and studying.

We school year-round, but many of our activities stop for the summer anyway, so I have more time at home. I have to work at it all year, though. I decide which things I need to learn in advance, which things I can just keep up as we go, and which things I am working on just for my own good in general.

I think it is worth it, and I encourage you to not give it up!! There is such value in sharing this with dc, in the discussion and the common knowledge you have, in the benefits of an engaged teacher....

Public school use teacher in-service days to count as school days. If your children are old enough to entertain themselves for part of a day, I say throw in an in-service day every month. Use that as your quiet learning time.

I also use times when ds is working independently to do my own work.

I want to thank you all again. I was feeling overwhelmed when I posted, because we have added a weekly counseling session for one of my children. I was already feeling stretched, and I was having one of those "how am I going to do this when I can't even keep up with the laundry?" moments.

Usually I hang out at Borders when I bring 13 yodd into town for youth group on Wed. nights. Tonight I brought my computer and listened to a lecture about the Aeneid instead. Not nearly as fun as a trip to Borders ;) but it was a good way to fit in some teacher prep.