Menu

I'm such a math mess....I need help

mumkins

I started a thread about DD. But, perhaps the problem is me.

My oldest struggles so I move her and move her and move her.

My second oldest is a math whiz, so I'm afraid I'm not challenging him enough, so I move him and move him and move him.

My 3rd child, I just don't want to mess up, so am undecided.

I need to just pick one and make it work? But what one?

My oldest has major math struggles. She just doesn't get it and gets easily distracted. She has hated every math we've tried. She's a 6th grader that struggles with grade 3 work. We're using CLE, but she can't stand the 4 page lay out. I'm thinking of ACE so I can do that gap paces and catch her up. Or maybe MUS so she can focus on one thing. But then, if she can't get that one thing, she could be stuck for weeks. Or maybe TT? Then she can't argue with me about how hard it is.

My next child is mathematically gifted. He is doing great in CLE, but really wants to do TT. I'm afraid TT isn't rigorous enough for him and that I'd be failing him. I kinda think MUS isn't enough either, but he could fly through them and get to where he's challenged.

My third child has an auditory processing deficiet. I suspect my oldest does too. Anyway, I keep switching her back from saxon to CLE, but I'm not thrilled with either.

Then I have two more coming up the ranks to worry about. Sigh...

IDK what to do.

The ones with auditory processing issues - if they have sequential weaknesses, I might look toward a program heavier on concepts and big-picture thinking, i.e., teach to their strengths, if they lean VSL. My understanding (which may or may not be correct) is that Saxon and CLE are heavier on algorithms/sequential procedures but lighter on concepts. Alternatively, you could supplement during a CLE lesson with more instruction on concepts from another source. Are word problems an issue?

FWIW, struggling with math three years below grade level is a red flag for one sort of LD or another.

As for the mathematically gifted one, I think your inclination to not switch to TT is a good one, unless you were planning to use multiple programs.

Okay I did the switcheroo thing with math for far too long!!!

My dd does not like math. She struggles to 'get' the concepts. This has been an ongoing issue for years.

What I did: I gave her the online ACE placement test, purchased the gap PACES, and am currently trying to catch her up to grade level. This has been working very well. We took a detour to Life of Fred Fractions when she failed her last PACE (which was fractions and decimals). I will have her complete Life of Fred Decimals after Fractions, then will give her the online test again and see where she places. (I am trying NOT to think about what will happen if she tests back from where she was...).

So my advice is to follow your own advice and do the ACE placement. :) With the math whiz, go to Barnes and Noble and purchase a workbook for the math gifted student. That can challenge him. OR you can test him out of chapters of his math book so that he isn't having to work problems that he already knows. Then he can work ahead of what he already knows to keep him challenged a bit.

Here are some ideas to consider:

Math whiz: MEP with Singapore Math CWP, Beast Academy, Art of Problem Solving, Crewton Ramone

Older DD: C-rods with videos from Crewton Ramone or Education Unboxed

Youngers: MUS or RightStart.

I am also teaching several children. I started my eldest children with Singapore, which I still use. This year, I purchased RS for my younger children, and I have been very pleased with the results. We also use MEP, which is excellent.

Several of these are free, so they would not be a monetary loss if they did not work (MEP, CR, Education Unboxed).

If your math whiz likes puzzles, he will probably love MEP.

Here are some ideas to consider:

Math whiz: MEP with Singapore Math CWP, Beast Academy, Art of Problem Solving, Crewton Ramone

Older DD: C-rods with videos from Crewton Ramone or Education Unboxed

Youngers: MUS or RightStart.

I am also teaching several children. I started my eldest children with Singapore, which I still use. This year, I purchased RS for my younger children, and I have been very pleased with the results. We also use MEP, which is excellent.

Several of these are free, so they would not be a monetary loss if they did not work (MEP, CR, Education Unboxed).

If your math whiz likes puzzles, he will probably love MEP.

:iagree: this will be what I do also.