Menu

C/P Special needs and school incident

bethben

Do you have a child in the public school special needs classroom? I know this is a homeschooling forum, but I don't have a lot of resources outside of the homeschooling community. My ds's first day of school resulted with a couple of students erupting in "fits". As a result, my son got hurt. He has three distinct finger marks on his arm and a gouge of skin taken out by one of the students. He is TOTALLY vulnerable (wheelchair, no protective reflexes). I've called his social worker because the last time (8 years ago with the same school administration) something like this was happening, they did nothing and were going to do nothing. What should I do? There is only one special needs classroom for his age group and it has all the kids who can't be mainstreamed so there's quite a range of special needs.

Beth

Do you have a child in the public school special needs classroom? I know this is a homeschooling forum, but I don't have a lot of resources outside of the homeschooling community. My ds's first day of school resulted with a couple of students erupting in "fits". As a result, my son got hurt. He has three distinct finger marks on his arm and a gouge of skin taken out by one of the students. He is TOTALLY vulnerable (wheelchair, no protective reflexes). I've called his social worker because the last time (8 years ago with the same school administration) something like this was happening, they did nothing and were going to do nothing. What should I do? There is only one special needs classroom for his age group and it has all the kids who can't be mainstreamed so there's quite a range of special needs.

Beth

My eldest sibling is blind and severely handicapped. In all of her years attending a ps classroom dedicated to SNs, NOTHING like this ever happened. I don't know what to say other than :grouphug:.

I'm certain we have some former ps teachers here. Let's pray that someone will speak up...Blessings, Heather

I would ask for an emergency IEP meeting to discuss the issue. I think doing that should waive the 10 day notification period. We have hired an advocate when we've had issues with the school district. That always seems to get things moving. There should be a plan in place to prevent any further incidents. Showing up to observe the class without notice might give a good picture of what is going on too. I know of several parents that have done that in our district with special ed kids. I was close to doing it last year but didn't because the teacher was at least trying to work with us.

My 4 yo son is in a self contained special ed classroom for children with severe communication needs. He isn't verbal beyond a few one word requests and I always worry about something happening at school that he isn't able to tell me. I know at least one of the other boys in his class that is quite aggressive. They always have an aide next to him but I still worry.

I really have no advice for you other than to take photos of the injuries. My DD got bit at preschool one time and, although it didn't break the skin, she had a perfect set of teeth marks on her arm for over a week. I kept the pics just in case I ever needed them.

Susie

DD Dallas(7)

Yup- going for the IEP meeting Friday. I'm bringing the scary county social worker (because apparently, if you call them in, you're serious). I'm almost thinking of doing what I did before when he was getting hit by an impulsive kid. I put in his IEP that he couldn't be in the same room as that kid. That may well happen again.

AmyinMD, I would suggest possibly adding something like that to your son's IEP if you're concerned. My oldest is also non-verbal and can't tell me anything which makes you have to put a lot of trust into a school system.

Beth

I'm sorry, that sounds really scary! My son was in special ed classes, but emotionally disturbed and autism. the worst he got was screeching that gave him a headache. I honestly feel bad for the teachers, trying to control several kids with such different problems. I'm sure the kid who got violent was having a hard time adjusting to the first day, and the teachers didnt know him well enough to be on top of it before it happened.

:grouphug: That must have been a scary situation for your son.

My DS12 was in a special ed class up until a year ago. My DS was labeled "speech impaired" and has dyslexia.

There were several kids in his special ed class that were prone to throwing fits and screaming. I know at one point a child physically attacked the teacher and had to be removed from the class.

Do NOT go to another IEP meeting without an advocate!!! Call the district and ask how to get one. In my former state there was a non-profit that would provide one for you. These are people (sometimes other SN parents) that usually go through some extra IEP training. Basically, they can walk you through your rights and make sure the school handles things appropriately.