Menu

Waist size - sizing charts - natural waist

I'm having trouble figuring out sizing charts from some online sites. Here's my dilemma: the size charts say to measure the waist, but when matching waist size to hips it is often a toss up as to which measurement will mean the most.

Most pants for women don't sit at the natural waist anymore. It seems to me that most pants sit around the belly button area or lower which is about 1-2 inches below the natural waist depending on whether you are long bodied or short bodied.

Now, obviously as one travels down toward the hips, the circumference normally gets bigger. The problem is to guess which waist the company is using (natural or at belly button level)

So here's my question: What is the 'usual' increase from waist circumference to belly button area circumference? I'm assuming the clothing companies have some sort of idea in mind as they craft an article of clothing that will fit at the waist as well as the hips. Is there a sizing chart that lists all the measurements for an average size (6, 8, 10, 12, etc.)?

I would go to the clothing store in question and try on clothes until I found out what fit. Then I would buy one pair of pants to reimburse them for their trouble. Then I would buy the rest online in the same size. :P

Since clothing sizes change between stores, this doesn't work if you want one each of different brands.