Menu

When you laminate cardstock...

skeeterbug

I have not had this problem. I use Xyron 9" Creative station.

You can read reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/XRN900-Creative-Station-Function-Crafting/dp/B000CBSNGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346673016&sr=8-2&keywords=xyron+9%22+creative+station

But the best price is on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=xyron+9%22+creative+station&_sacat=0

You have to buy cartridges, which can be pricey. The cartridges can be $30, but, again, the best prices seem to be on ebay (as low as $11).

Advantages:

--You can get a lot of laminating on a roll.

--The same machine can be used to make stickers or magnets. You just need to purchase a different cartridge for that function. Make sure you purchase the right cartridges!!! And label them with a sharpy so there is no confusion of what is in the machine!!!

Disadvantages:

--Initial price can give you sticker shock compared to other laminators.

--This is not heat sealed. It is basically high-quality contact paper sticking together. Whenever I laminate, I waste ~6" turning the crank to make sure the laminate has no wrinkles in it before I add my paper to the machine. Otherwise it can wreck what I printed.

If I have a lot to laminate at a time, then 6" is not a big deal. If I have only one item, it is a necessary evil to this sort of laminator.

I have been very happy with mine, but I hope you find what works best for you.

No, I don't have to put it through more than once. It's a scotch laminator. Maybe your heater is going out? How old is it?

It's about 2.5 yrs old. I started having this problem when I switched over to heavy cardstock. I'm using 190 gsm, I"m having a problem figuring out what that would be in lbs, one website said 51 lbs while others are saying 90 lbs.

I must send it through at least twice or there are spots where the glue didn't adhere properly. Now that I think of it, they are quite evenly spaced, I wonder if there is a problem with the roller. Maybe I will try out a friend's to see if I have the same problem on another machine.

No I only run mine through once unless for some reason I want a really thick seal. I have the 3M Scotch one and LOVE it!

Maybe try new laminator sheets. Sometimes I get a box on some deal and they just aren't as good as the 3M ones.

It doesn't seem to matter what laminator sheets I use, I've tried several brands. It seems to be due to the thickness of the cardstock, when I use thin cardstock I don't have this problem.

Not sure if we have the 3M Scotch laminator here, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

are you heating up the laminator for long enough? I have two laminators, and one takes at least 13 minutes to heat up enough.

It happens even when I've been laminating for an hour, so I'm sure it has had enough time to warm up by then!

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to buy a new laminator. Before I did so dh took apart my old one and we discovered that there was wax buildup in a couple of places on the roller, one of them quite large. Removing the wax wouldn't help as the roller was flattened under the wax in those spots.

The new laminator works perfectly, no sending it through more than once even with my thick cardstock!

:hurray::hurray: