Menu

Amsterdam questions

I have some questions about traveling to Amsterdam. Does anyone here live there? Perhaps you've visited there?

We are looking at an apartment rental that says it is near Carre, Hermitage and Stopera and within walking distance to Rembrandtplein. It also says it is in the midst of the canal area.

Another apartment possibility is one that says it is 5 minutes by tram from Leidse Square and Museum District and close to the Vondelpark.

Are these good locations to base from? We will be doing typical tourist activities.

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

I saw this thread last night--I started to post but I have only spent one day in Amsterdam. A tour bus dropped us off. So I thought better of it. Since no one else is posting -- here are my bits of knowldge.

It is a walkable city. Really lovely. I think we stayed mainly in the canal area. We had a walk that we followed. Maybe 5 miles with major sites. I think we were in all of the areas for the first apartment and they were lovely. There is a red light district nearby but easy to avoid--safe per friends just you might see more than you wish to. There was lots to see. Nice restaurants. The waffle places looked great but were full unfortunately. Places that didn't cost a fortune for snacks. We had a great day.

We were with friends who had been several times. We had originally planned to walk to Nemo, the science museum. So that must be a good area too. And possible to walk to if you want. The flower market won which is why we did the city walk.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

We found the whole city very walkable. We stayed in the Hotel Estherea which is close to the train station and the Anne Frank House. My only caution is that although it is very walkable, it is probably the most dangerous city to walk in from a traffic standpoint that our family has ever been in (and we have traveled extensively). The bicycles are everywhere and the cars go to fast. On top of that, there are street cars, with no clear distinction of where the sidewalk ends and the street begins. We saw several near accidents on our first day, and when we asked a local about how many tourists get hit each year, his guess was "many", but said the government didn't give such statistics. Our second day there, our fears were concerned as we saw the streets blocked off and a pregnant woman laying in the middle of the street crying, covered in blood. After that, we chose to take taxis.

We spent one night and two days in Amsterdam several years ago. I think the first apartment location sounds better. We stayed about a 10 min. walk southwest of the train station in the canal area and did walk everywhere with no problem. It was September and not horribly crowded, so that may have had something to do with it. We also didn't have dc with us.

I have family who lived outside of Amsterdam for 12 years... I think both apartments sound good. I would probably go for the first option, in your shoes. I like the canal area. But either would be great. Very walkable city!

You will have a wonderful, wonderful time.

I highly recommend Rick Steve's guide book on Amsterdam.

We took his recommendation and stayed in Harlaam--about a 15 minute train ride. I enjoyed that...getting out of the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam each evening.

Amsterdam is very walkable. Public transport is plentiful. Most natives speak English very well if you have questions. I've always found the Dutch to be friendly and easy going.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I booked the first apartment & am very excited for our trip.

I am thinking that we will probably rent bikes - we bike around our large neighborhood frequently & are used to dealing with some traffic (not as much as there is in Amsterdam, but still, a little). That and some canal cruises and tram rides....

Thanks for the book recommendation, Happy. I'll take a look at it.