Menu

Neuro-Psych Evals

I'm starting the process for having 3 of my children evaluated by a neuropsychologist.

2 of them already have dxs. One has been dxd with autism and FAS. The other FAS.

So far I've done the parent meeting. It annoyed me. I filled out info and sent it in ahead of time. Then filled out more forms there that asked the same thing. Then spent 2 hours answering the same questions while the pscyh sat at a computer inputting the information. His back was too me the whole time. It was a big turn off. I understand they ask for the info multiple ways and that's ok. Staring at the back of the guys head for 2 hours though, big turn off.

I could dx him with a few things after those 2 hours.

He sent me home with long lists of the tests he'd like to do with each child. He doesn't actually do the tests though, his assistants do them. I'm actually glad since he's a turn off. He will be monitoring though via a video system.

He also put down some suspected dxs. Among the dx were things like anxiety disorder, Aspergers, conduct disorder, adhd.... I forget what all else.

I'm conflicted on continuing. Part of me just doesn't want to deal with any of it. Running away sounds more enjoyable.

It is not pleasant to go through that :grouphug:. These professional people often seem to forget that they are dealing with real people, not just a diagnosis and an adult in charge of the diagnosis.

After struggling on my own, I just viewed the eval process as a means to getting help and finding out the best way for me to help my child ... tried to keep my eye on the ball through the tears...

Good luck

Well did he come well-recommended? Did you have any feedback that he gives reliable diagnoses and advice?

Sorry it's unpleasant so far. Do you have other options or are you pretty locked in?

:iagree: particularly with the first part. Kids do not fit into objective little boxes, and some diagnostic work cannot be completed without genuine interaction, particularly for complex disorders such as autism, or which the scales are only a guideline (there is no definitive "autism tetst").

There are personable evaluators out there. Ths one sounds as if he goes home and watches House for inspiration.

It shouldn't be like that. I'm sorry. Our experience changed our lives (in a positive way). The neuropsych was a lovely, warm, supportive woman. After our testing, we felt like we finally had someone smart and supportive "on our team." It was such a relief for me not to be alone and carrying around that "something's not right" feeling but not being taken seriously.

It's likely your child will be followed yearly to monitor progress - maybe you could shop around for someone you feel good about?

In support,