Menu

Feeling very discouraged about DS7

Edit: The title should say DS8

I just don't know what to do anymore to help him. :( He's always been slow to learn, I'm completely certain he has some learning difficulties. I have an appt coming up for him to hopefully get some referrals.

Last year we did Singapore math 1a and b. I started him this year on MEP 1, thinking we'll review first before we start MEP 2. Well, he's having a really hard time subtracting between numbers 0-2. He just cannot wrap his brain around it. I tried to explain in so many different ways, but he just doesn't seem to get it.

As I've said in the title, I'm feeling very discouraged. I feel like I failed him. I don't know how to help him.

His reading is seeming to get better. But he still confuses b and d quite a lot and he also has somewhat trouble keeping his vowels straight.

Sorry my post is all over the place. I'm so sad for him. :(

I notice that he's your first boy. I can't tell from your post exactly what is wrong but I know that when my youngest ds started second grade, I noticed that he had pretty much forgotten all the math from the year before. We started over and caught up by mid year, THEN started second grade math. The forgetting is less severe as he gets older.

Will your school district evaluate him for learning disabilities? You might want to explore that route. Mine evaluated DS. Of course it came back that he didn't have any LDs (he was a couple points away in math from qualifying). When we had a neuropsych done on him at a hospital he came back with a mild LD and some other issues.

FWIW, at 9 he's still mixing up b and d.

:grouphug: If he truly has a disability you haven't failed him at all!! You are getting him evaluated, and that is the first step towards progress. Good for you!

They will be able to give you lots of strategies. I'm sorry you feel so badly.

:iagree:

As the homeschooling mother of a child with a learning disability, I understand feelings of failure. When I mentioned that once on the special needs board, someone kindly reminded me that since I do that, my ds can learn without taking on all the feelings of failure that he'd likely suffer in a traditional school. (I paraphrased that badly--she said it so much nicer!!!) Homeschooling allows for individual learning adjusted to the learner--and for struggling learner that's one of the best things to do!

I notice that he's your first boy. I can't tell from your post exactly what is wrong but I know that when my youngest ds started second grade, I noticed that he had pretty much forgotten all the math from the year before. We started over and caught up by mid year, THEN started second grade math. The forgetting is less severe as he gets older.

It's not just that he forgets. He will sit and stare at the book and it's almost like he's forgetting that he is doing something. And he'll also say that it's hard for him.

:grouphug::grouphug:

My second grader still gets her b's and d's wrong, too. And my ds8 writes half his letters backwards (he's in 3rd), especially if he's in a hurry. Good luck with your appointment and don't give up!

:grouphug: If he truly has a disability you haven't failed him at all!! You are getting him evaluated, and that is the first step towards progress. Good for you!

They will be able to give you lots of strategies. I'm sorry you feel so badly.

Thank you.

Will your school district evaluate him for learning disabilities? You might want to explore that route. Mine evaluated DS. Of course it came back that he didn't have any LDs (he was a couple points away in math from qualifying). When we had a neuropsych done on him at a hospital he came back with a mild LD and some other issues.

FWIW, at 9 he's still mixing up b and d.

Not through the school district. I wouldn't even know how to go about that? I'm going to his ped and will ask for an overall evaluation. This is also my son who I believe has ADHD and moderate sensory issues.

:iagree:

As the homeschooling mother of a child with a learning disability, I understand feelings of failure. When I mentioned that once on the special needs board, someone kindly reminded me that since I do that, my ds can learn without taking on all the feelings of failure that he'd likely suffer in a traditional school. (I paraphrased that badly--she said it so much nicer!!!) Homeschooling allows for individual learning adjusted to the learner--and for struggling learner that's one of the best things to do!

Thanks!

My dd didn't get b's and d's until about age 10. As far as math goes, everything w/ her had to be hands on. I got out apples, drew cookies on the board or pizzas, or we counted straws or crayons, etc, etc. We spent a LOT of time on subtraction and fractions, etc. She is 14, in 8th grade, and last spring it finally all clicked for her and she looked at a simple algebraic equation and did it in her head. Hang in there mom! Be the tortoise, not the hare!