Menu

Kinetic math pacing...

Can someone please chime in on what kind of pace they keep with Kinetic Math? Ds13 is using the pre-alg now, and he does a unit section with the quick checks. So for example today he did 1.4, the activities, and the quick checks. It doesnt give him a lot of time on math, but he absolutely loves it. ( thats probably why he loves it :tongue_smilie:)

We follow up with HOE, but I want to make sure we aren't getting behind.

Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing since I'm considering it for ds11. Did you buy the standard version or the HS version? The reason I ask is that I thought the HS version had suggested daily pacing with it. But I may be wrong. Also if one lesson is relatively short have you considered doing 1.5 or 2 per day until things get more challenging or time consuming?

I think Beth is using this now. Hopefully she or another KB user can chime in as well. :bigear:

I am wondering the same thing since I'm considering it for ds11. Did you buy the standard version or the HS version? The reason I ask is that I thought the HS version had suggested daily pacing with it. But I may be wrong. Also if one lesson is relatively short have you considered doing 1.5 or 2 per day until things get more challenging or time consuming?

I think Beth is using this now. Hopefully she or another KB user can chime in as well. :bigear:

Dd is using it for an hour -- 3x/week. No set pace. No hurry. :001_smile:

Dd is using it for an hour -- 3x/week. No set pace. No hurry. :001_smile:

Thanks for the response Beth. If I understand you are using this as a supplimental to NEM & Cybershala vs. a standalone, correct? That approach may work for us as well since my son will be combining this with MUS Pre-A. I have heard from other users that KB also works well as a complete curriculum. I guess it just depends on one's teaching style and preferences.

Edited by dereksurfs

Thanks for the response Beth. If I understand you are using this as a suppliment to NEM & Cybershala vs. a standalone, correct? That approach may work for us as well since my son will be combining this with another program (MUS Pre-A). I have heard from other users that KB also works well as a complete curriculum or spine.

I think we're on the same wavelength. :tongue_smilie: Ds would die if I told him he had to do Kinetic, HOE, and another math.

My Kinetic Books use was all before the hs versions came out. My girls did 45 minutes/day. It was their favorite math program and they were disappointed when they finished Algebra II because that's as high as it went.

I think it's a fantastic program. It is rigorous enough that Lial's Precalculus was nearly all just a repeat of KB Algebra II. There were no more than 6 chapter sections in Lial's Precalculus that hadn't been covered to an equal depth in KB.

My Kinetic Books use was all before the hs versions came out. My girls did 45 minutes/day. It was their favorite math program and they were disappointed when they finished Algebra II because that's as high as it went.

I think it's a fantastic program. It is rigorous enough that Lial's Precalculus was nearly all just a repeat of KB Algebra II. There were no more than 6 chapter sections in Lial's Precalculus that hadn't been covered to an equal depth in KB.

Well that is promising!

We're using the homeschool algebra, at the pace of one Lesson a day. (the lessons seem clearly marked and encompass two mini "units" with questions) So far he is liking it a lot! He's also doing Jacobs as a text, that takes about 30-45 min., and he does KB later in the day which takes 15-20 minutes. It seems like a nice combination because the traditional bookwork (which I think he needs to be accustomed to) is offset by the more fun computer work, and they seem to be complementing each other nicely. I have no doubt that KB can stand alone, however, from what I've read!

I just looked at the pacing guide, and did one line of that a day when scheduling. However...it seems that didn't account for the "kinetic homework" I just found on the program...not sure what to do about that.

Maybe the homework is designed for the HS edition as more of a standalone curriculum. Actually I think KB support mentioned this when I called them and asked what the differences are between the two editions. From what others users are describing the single lesson sounds on the shorter side of things. I think the homework consist of extra problem sets related to the same lesson.

Edited by dereksurfs

I just looked at the pacing guide, and did one line of that a day when scheduling. However...it seems that didn't account for the "kinetic homework" I just found on the program...not sure what to do about that.

Ughhhh!!!! :001_huh: I saw the homework site too, but didnt register yet. I need to get this straight so I dont spend an entire year doing this wrong.

Anyone figured it out yet?

I cannot find the pacing guide for Pre-alg anywhere. I called Customer Service and she said she didn't know what I was talking about and would have to call me back. :confused: Also, is the homework only available if you've purchased and not the trial period? Because it prompts me to buy the homework access when I try to use it..

sorry for all the questions...

I heard from customer service. Unless I purchase the Homeschool version, I do not have access to the pacing guide or the homework generator. I've only signed up for the trial period so I'm outta luck. :001_huh:

I may just have to buy it since ds loves it so much. I just really wanted to get a feel for it before I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

I bought the homeschool version and the pacing guide is the starting page. It has Lesson 1: Assignment 1.1-1.5, Lesson 2: Assignment 1.6-1.8, etc... The Kinetic Homework is built into the HS version's lessons right before the unit test.

From the user manual:

There's also:

Online homework

HTH

Thank you!!

I heard from customer service. Unless I purchase the Homeschool version, I do not have access to the pacing guide or the homework generator. I've only signed up for the trial period so I'm outta luck. :001_huh:

I may just have to buy it since ds loves it so much. I just really wanted to get a feel for it before I bought it.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

Stephaine, if you decide to purchase it could you report back after a while. It will help as I'm trying to decide between it and a couple of others. We will also give the trial a go first to see how ds11 likes it.

Thanks,

I bought the homeschool version and the pacing guide is the starting page. It has Lesson 1: Assignment 1.1-1.5, Lesson 2: Assignment 1.6-1.8, etc... The Kinetic Homework is built into the HS version's lessons right before the unit test.

From the user manual:

There's also:

Online homework

HTH

Thank you or explaining! Glad to see the pacing guide does have the homework, at the end of the unit. I was afraid I'd have to go back in and schedule it myself.

Stephaine, if you decide to purchase it could you report back after a while. It will help as I'm trying to decide between it and a couple of others. We will also give the trial a go first to see how ds11 likes it.

Thanks,

Absolutely! I will let you know as soon as we get going.

I was noticing that the website states the lessons take 1-2 hours. :blink: Ds13 would not do well on any kind of math for that long. I'm hoping that the pacing guide they provide is doable in less amount of time? Ds doesn't do well sitting for long periods of time on same subject..he loses his concentration and feels overwhelmed. As it is we do about 20 min of KB then we move to HOE. I'm afraid this schedule won't provide us enough time to finish it in the school year so he's ready for Alg next year?

Any thoughts?

I was noticing that the website states the lessons take 1-2 hours. :blink: Ds13 would not do well on any kind of math for that long. I'm hoping that the pacing guide they provide is doable in less amount of time? Ds doesn't do well sitting for long periods of time on same subject..he loses his concentration and feels overwhelmed. As it is we do about 20 min of KB then we move to HOE. I'm afraid this schedule won't provide us enough time to finish it in the school year so he's ready for Alg next year?

Any thoughts?

Hm, 1-2 hours sounds like it varies quite alot. If it seems too long maybe you could break it up some - lesson, then homework later? I do think most math especially going forward from Algebra on will generally require this amount a time per day. But some may get away with 45 minutes or less if they work faster. In PS aren't most math classes ~ 1 hour just for the lecture? Maybe thet are basing it upon that.

I double checked and on top of the free trial they also offer 90 return policy which is pretty generous. So if after trying the full HS program you are not happy you could get a full refund.

Edited by dereksurfs

I'm afraid this schedule won't provide us enough time to finish it in the school year so he's ready for Alg next year?

Any thoughts?

ETA: Your ds will be ready for algebra with what you have outlined. KB Prealg looks quite meaty. If you combine it with HoE, he will be more than ready.

Not sure this is helpful...

After a lesson on functions with dd's online tutor yesterday morning, we did a KB lesson on functions in the afternoon for about 20 min. The teaching is excellent. You can do as much or little as you want per sitting. It's really not a big issue. I am mainly doing KB for the interactive aspect of it. Since we do other math, I am not having dd do the 'end of unit' problems. I am picking and choosing what we do since so much of it is overlap and/or review & reinforcement of what she learned last year. KB takes it to a much deeper level which is why I like it.

This was dd9's math routine yesterday...

Morning:

online lesson with Rachna on functions -- 1 hour

Afternoon:

KB lesson on functions -- 20 min

Crewton Ramone video on functions (12 min)

TT Alg 1 lesson 134 (lecture only)

I know our situation is a bit different than other folks who have used KB here. The technology is fantastic and the content is perfect for a student who likes to learn via computer.

HTH!!

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Thank you, all. I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the HS Version. I would feel better if he had a homework feature so he could practice on the concept. I will probably just have him do odd or even, or just enough for me to know he gets it. That might motivate him to really focus if he knows he may have less paper work to do if he understands. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, all. I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the HS Version. I would feel better if he had a homework feature so he could practice on the concept. I will probably just have him do odd or even, or just enough for me to know he gets it. That might motivate him to really focus if he knows he may have less paper work to do if he understands. :D

Did you purchase the HS version? I cancelled my KB alg 1 today. I need a solutions guide & answer key. It's a fabulous program but I need more hand-holding. :)

Did you purchase the HS version? I cancelled my KB alg 1 today. I need a solutions guide & answer key. It's a fabulous program but I need more hand-holding. :)

Whoa, that is *very* interesting Beth, especially since we are evaluating it and TabletClass right now! After using both we are leaning toward TabletClass. It offers answers to all the test questions. Plus there are step-by-step solutions to test questions in video format. On top of that John Zimmerman, the author, is quick to respond to any user questions.

Edited by dereksurfs

Did you not have the HS version, Beth? It was my understanding the HS version had that. :) That would be a deal breaker here too if it had neither.

We've been using the trial version of pre-algebra and I really hope it works out well because DS loves it.

Did you not have the HS version, Beth? It was my understanding the HS version had that. :) That would be a deal breaker here too if it had neither.

We've been using the trial version of pre-algebra and I really hope it works out well because DS loves it.

There is not a separate solutions guide with problems worked out for me to prep with. If there is, it is not convenient to use mid-lesson. I like TT since I have the answer key and the entire problem is demonstrated for every problem (IF you need it). I love KB. I wish it worked for us. Thankfully we have so many fabulous options.

ETA: After years of using workbooks/texts, it was slightly cumbersome to do an entire lesson online. I would do the lesson 'ahead' of dd. It would be handy to have a workbook in front of me as a guide. I have been spoiled with the ease of TT and SM. I don't want to discourage anyone from purchasing KB. They have a generous 30-day trial.

Edited by Beth in SW WA