Menu

i am lookig at piles of last yrs stuff - what do you keep?

Last yr was our 1st hs - I feel like I kept everything - my kiddos were in 2nd and kinder - what do you keep? papers, workbooks, art projects? I am thinking no workbooks, but then I feel guilty, like someday I might want to reflect back on 2nd grade math or something. thanks for your thoughts. Laura

I make a 3-ring binder of samples of what they accomplished that year. I put in good copywork samples, pictures of projects they made, tests they may have taken, a copy of the books they read that year, writing samples--sentences, paragraphs, or what ever you have, copies of their grades (if you're required to do that by your state), and a copy of their standardized testing scores. Everything else gets tossed.

Last yr was our 1st hs - I feel like I kept everything - my kiddos were in 2nd and kinder - what do you keep? papers, workbooks, art projects? I am thinking no workbooks, but then I feel guilty, like someday I might want to reflect back on 2nd grade math or something. thanks for your thoughts. Laura

I keep what will fit in a 1 inch binder. This year it included History color pages and maps, math tests, Latin worksheets and tests, spelling tests, handwriting samples, logic worksheets, and Greek samples. Maybe a few other odds and ends. I'd only keep the best art samples, and if they are too big I'd take a picture and keep that in the notebook.

Trust me...I doubt you'll ever want to reflect back on all of 2nd grade math :001_smile:.

By PA state law, we have to submit a porfolio every year. So I save things throughout the year and have the kids sort through everything at the end of the school year. I ask them what they want to keep and I save some things I want to keep. We put it all in a 3" 3 ring binder. This is our scrapbook for them for that year. It has become and activity we look forward to and enjoy doing (even though we have to do it)

You can be as creative or noncreative (like me) as you like. I do include pictures of activities, projects, samples of writing, copy work, math worksheets etc so we can remember the year.

We keep artwork the kids want to keep, and we keep any special writing they've done and want to hold onto. The rest goes in the trash. In fact, with daily schoolwork - math, grammar, writing, spelling, etc, the kids have a ritual of throwing their pile of papers away as soon as I've checked them. We don't have any state reporting requirements, so we have no need to hold onto that stuff.