Menu

After Key to Algebra?

Dmmetler

I'd thought Key to Algebra would be a good way to give DD the "Algebra" she wanted while still keeping in mind that she's pretty young, doesn't have a lot of writing stamina, and so on.

But I'm pretty sure a workbook is SUPPOSED to take more than a week, right???

I don't plan to change her yet-but unless they get a lot harder and more challenging, she's going to finish the series well before Christmas-maybe even before Halloween, and I'm wondering what a good next step would be? She's already doing a lot of logic and problem solving, playing with Algeblocks and Algebra Gear problems, Hands on Equations Verbal Problem solving books, SM 6 CWP, CHallenge math,LoF Pre-Algebra and a lot of other stuff-but mostly things that can be done with minimal writing. There's such a big jump to actual high school math and I just don't think she's ready yet.

If she's able to handle Key To Algebra, she's not only ready for Algebra, but she's actually doing some algebra. (Scary feeling, I know). Book 3 on solving equations, book 8 on graphing, and 9 and 10 to a lesser extent are really the core of Algebra I. If she's good on those, she'd be able to pass my state's algebra exam. [Can I swap her in for one of my tenth-grade repeaters?]

Which reminds me, once she's done with Key To, she'd probably get a kick out of the Algebra quizzes at http://education.jlab.org/solquiz/index.html . They're the VA state exam questions, and they're pretty basic algebra (nothing that would be discouraging for her). They have explanations so she can figure out what she was doing wrong, and that site will introduce her to the concept of matrices, which isn't covered in Key To. It's a really good site, and kids love "playing on" Jefferson Lab because they enjoy the instant quiz feedback.

Once you've done Key To and dawdled with Jefferson Lab quizzes, hmm... There's "real Algebra"... I love Jacob's Elementary Algebra for a textbook; it's gentle but intellectually deep, and it's good for self-studying. Or AoPS if you think she's physically ready for it. (Foerster's and Dolciani are other choices math-y types swear by).

Or... PSAT /SAT math! I know that sounds totally strange, but remember that it's mostly simple pre-alg/alg/geometry, and that's the math I absolutely loved in late elementary school at a time I hadn't experienced formal algebra yet. If she's the type who's always gotten 100%, it can be fun to plug through some math questions and feel successful for just getting barely more than half right (which is what a high school senior averages).

With Key To Algebra, we worked on some MM to cover gaps and review decimals and percentages. We moved on to Key to Geometry for a short while after Key to Algebra but it was too constructions-based and did not challenge him. He wanted to learn constructions though so we used the Chris Freeman Hands-On Geometry workbook instead.

About a month after Key To Algebra kiddo began Dolciani's Algebra 1 with a tutor. It was absolutely the best thing we've ever done for him. He is now in Jurgensen's Geometry (same publisher series as Dolciani's) and taking his own time with it.

Geometry applies some Algebra but not as much as I thought it would and we decided to review Algebra 1 with AoPS' Intro to Alg. The first 5 chapters of AOPS are easy for him and I think this is due in part to the challenging problems he worked on with the Dolciani text but you know, your kid sounds so voracious for math that she might not find all of it hard either. Or perhaps you could try the Pre-Alg book?

It looks like you are already using problem solving books. I just wanted give a quick shout out for the MOEMS (Olympiad prep) books. Or you could try AOPS Volume 1 -- there's a good amount of algebra prep and a lot of other cool things in there.

Another option is to try the Counting and Probability and Number Theory books. Kiddo finished Intro to C&P while working on Dolciani's Alg 1 and also covered a few chapters of the Number Theory book. We followed some bunny trails using James Tanton's materials and various YouTube videos and math circle-like downloads.

Good luck!

Edited by quark
some irrelevant info

I would try Art of Problem Solving.

Even though she is working on algebra, I would start with the AoPS prealgebra book, because the approach is very different and the level of problem solving unlike any other program. I would suspect this may challenge her even though she has seen the material elsewhere.

Some people have started AoPS using Intro to Counting and Probability or Number Theory which may be other great options.

But for a child like yours, I would move from standard materials to AoPS as soon as she is able to handle it.

I just wanted give a quick shout out for the MOEMS (Olympiad prep) books.

:iagree: I'd look at Creative Problem Solving (Lenchner) and/or the MOEMS problem book Vol 2

I would try Art of Problem Solving.

Even though she is working on algebra, I would start with the AoPS prealgebra book, because the approach is very different and the level of problem solving unlike any other program. I would suspect this may challenge her even though she has seen the material elsewhere.

Some people have started AoPS using Intro to Counting and Probability or Number Theory which may be other great options.

But for a child like yours, I would move from standard materials to AoPS as soon as she is able to handle it.

:iagree:

That's what we are trying with ds9 (Aops Prealg), because there's just nothing else that will present this angle. Having used the Prealgebra with dd11, I'm wary, but ds is a different student and is handling it surprisingly well so far (only at the end of ch 1, LOL, but he did bits of ch 2 over the summer at home - his thinking coincides with the book very much), especially considering that he's doing it independently at school, unlike dd, who had me over her shoulder whenever she needed me. He's going very slowly, which is fine by me - yesterday he was working on the end of chapter problems and said he only did about five of them at school - I don't care as long as he's moving forward. He was bored with MM (I still love MM), and needs Aops-style math like a growing boy needs protein.

Dd9 enjoys the mental stimulation and problem solving with her online algebra tutor, Rachna. It's the highlight of Abi's day since she gets one-on-one time with an enthusiastic math professional. She starts weekly lessons with Ben (aka Crewton) in Sept. She has classes with Rachna 3x week now. No math doldrums here. :001_smile:

The content is important. But the teacher makes it come alive. Dd would not enjoy the format of the AoPS books or classes at this age/stage. She appreciates a lively discussion and the ability to explore and ask questions. What we have going is perfect. I am so thankful.

She enjoys Kinetic Books Alg 1 also. She started in chapter 5. So far so good.

HTH! :001_smile:

I have to say, I wouldn't bother with Keys to Algebra. (and no, they took a day or two each here, but we stopped after book 4)

I'd also vote for AoPS Prealgebra. Or, just start whatever algebra book you were planning on using. The first few chapters are likely Prealgebra anyway and you can get a feel for whether it's a fit.

And if she hits a wall, I'd consider whether it's because she's not ready for high school math, or whether she's not ready for a high school textbook.

I find the AoPS books good in part because they assume the kids are younger than usual (not as young as yours though :) ) and they don't require a lot of writing.

I spent a whole year flailing around after sm6. I wish AoPS Prealgebra had been out then.

I also like Crossing the River with Dogs, and Russian Math 6