Menu

Geometer's Sketchpad

Just wondering if this is a worthy supplement for geometry since it is discounted through HSBC until the end of the week. I have Holt Geometry 2007 with the Lesson Videos and the One-Stop Teacher Planner and don't want to duplicate resources. I have not had a chance to look closely at the Holt supplementals in the Videos or Planner, so your advice (Jann :)) would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Pamela in VA

Like the other poster Geolgebra is free --still a learning curve... and more of a 'toy' to play with... the learning curve is such that it will slow the student down to try to learn it for each new application.

Remember with Holt that the worksheets in the One Stop Planner are the student's best options for homework. The 'Reteach' and 'Practice B' are standard-- then add in occasional Problem Solving and Challenge. Do NOT try to give your student all of the Problem Solving or Challenge work to do-- simply too many problems and it would take 2 years to get through the program! With this program you have an overwhelming amount of 'potential' assignments. Keep it simple until you get the hang of scheduling.

I do like the end of chapter reviews in the text as well as the choice of tests in the One Stop Planner (the non-multiple choice ones).

Make sure your student works the constructions as they are presented in the text. There are a few other 'visual' and 'manual' labs that may help-- but remember you just cannot do them all! The 'Reteach' worksheets will let you know what NEEDS to be covered in each chapter-- the Practice B will reinforce and expand a bit and will prepare your student for the tests... the other stuff is icing on the cake.

Sketchpad is a great application-- but it is best used when the INSTRUCTOR learns it and demonstrates/teaches it to the student (using it when the lesson is presented as a visual/conceptual aid). It is a great instructional resource.

Independent students will find it more of a 'toy'... a few will enjoy and learn from exploring it--but like I said in the previous post--there is a learning curve and you have to be self-disciplined enough to research and practice.

The makers of Sketchpad are great about offering free webinars for instructors.