Menu

Kindergarten

My 5yo ds is just starting Kindergarten, but he is reading and doing math on at least a first grade level. I am having to backtrack a little though, because even though he can do the math at that level, he is still having trouble writing his numbers. I think handwriting is going to be one of the biggest things I am going to have to focus on this year.

I also want to make his Kindergarten year fun. I don't want to cause burnout for him. What are some fun ideas for Kindergarten? I am planning on doing as many of the SOTW projects as I can because he loves art. I need to let him take out his painting and do that more, and stop worrying about the mess and the cleanup! This Friday I am planning on doing Joseph's coat of many colors and letting him paint on one of his dad's old button-up shirts.

We have a field trip planned with our co-op to the local fire and police stations, and I'm sure we will do other field trips with them and as a family this year.

What are your suggestions for making Kindergarten fun and interesting for an advanced and artsy boy?

When putting the focus on handwriting, try not to make it all pencil work. Let him build muscles with play-doh, and build dexterity by treasure hunting (hiding craft jewels in a ball of play-doh) or lego building. Have writing exercises done with crayons, markers, paints, foods (whipped cream), and things like that.

When putting the focus on handwriting, try not to make it all pencil work. Let him build muscles with play-doh, and build dexterity by treasure hunting (hiding craft jewels in a ball of play-doh) or lego building. Have writing exercises done with crayons, markers, paints, foods (whipped cream), and things like that.

Thank you! Both of my boys love Legos, and they have been using them to build pyramids, the great sphinx, and Star Wars vehicles the past few weeks. Taking out the play-doh more is a good idea, too.

My advice is to allow him to progress further than his fine motor skills allow. I wouldn't backtrack in math just because he struggles to write numbers - I would let him do math orally and practice writing numbers at a different time. It's only now in 2nd grade that my child is writing her own math papers.

Five in a Row often gets a bad rap on these forums, but I loved it for a bright/gifted kindergartener. It's like a whirlwind tour of cultures, time periods, and ideas, and you can set your own depth. Great for a young child who is interested in everything at once.

My advice is to allow him to progress further than his fine motor skills allow. I wouldn't backtrack in math just because he struggles to write numbers - I would let him do math orally and practice writing numbers at a different time. It's only now in 2nd grade that my child is writing her own math papers.

:iagree: Math is not writing numbers.

For learning to write numbers, I really, really, really liked R&S Counting with Numbers (part of their ABC series). I know it is basic counting, but the way they teach number writing was fantastic, with the cute little sayings. My DS2 picked up number writing pretty quickly with that workbook when he was 4, and now at 5.5, he's still working on writing letters, but he has fabulous number writing! He's able to do all his own math work because he CAN write the numbers now.

:iagree:I received similar advice on these forums, along with the suggestion to use Miquon or MEP Reception. With Miquon math, my daughter was able to do the math that she enjoyed by representing numbers with tangible rods. I scribed for her when we felt it was important to write our numbers down.

We're also using mep and miquon orally and with rods and it is going quite well. I made little number tiles for my son to move around and use as answers. We like the free app "little writer" for practicing letter formation though you may already be past that stage. Not sure what I'm going to do about spelling or if there's a point in teaching spelling before they write well but that is another thread.