Menu

Saxon Math activity sheets, To correct or not?

Munchkins_mama

I am not using Saxon and do not have any idea what exactly activity sheets are - but I would correct any math problem my kids do and make them redo it correctly. Doing a math problem incorrectly and not being corrected serves no purpose. How else would the child learn from the activity?

This is 5th grade math and the activity sheets are like a warm up. It is a page with 100 addition problems, or single digit multiplication or division. Super easy stuff that is supposed to warm up the brain for the real work. ( I assume?) So I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to correct the pages every day or if it's just for them to get the brain moving.

This is 5th grade math and the activity sheets are like a warm up. It is a page with 100 addition problems, or single digit multiplication or division. Super easy stuff that is supposed to warm up the brain for the real work. ( I assume?) So I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to correct the pages every day or if it's just for them to get the brain moving.

I would not let a single math problem go unchecked, even if it is super easy stuff. You want to a) make sure that they retain the information and b) that they make the effort to do it diligently and don't just put any random stuff. There is no reason YOU have to do the checking, your kid can self-check. But I would not do problems without any check.

When we used Saxon, we dropped the whole warm up because my kids did not need it and it was just busywork for them; I am not convinced the brain needs to "warm up" by doing 100 easy problems.

We are doing 5/4 and the book said to just check them together and record time/result on chart. Dd takes hers, I call out answers while she checks, she records. I really think the recording on that chart is valuable more than simply taking test because they can see themselves getting better.

This was going to be my reply. Dd is going into her 5th year of Saxon, ds his 3rd. The drill sheets (which I believe is what your talking about as the warm ups) are simply a gauge to give them to improve time and accuracy. Most of the mistakes on these sheets (if any) are going to be what we call "careless errors." Your child can take one look and realize where the mistake is. So, do you want to spend your time going on errors they already know why / how to correct or go on to new concepts? Don't get me wrong, there MUST be a balance, but you get my drift.

I guess I'm probably not your "typical" homeschooler for elementary grades, either! We've "graded" our kids work since 1st grade. The incentive of knowing if I make a careless mistake I'm going to get a bad grade is enough for them to pay close attention as they do their work. In that type of atmosphere, corrections on a regular basis aren't necessary (imho).

Hope that helps!

Tammie

Thanks!

Yes, those sheets are what I'm talking about. I makes me crazy to have to correct basic addition problems, even though they are simple. She is in 6/5 and totally knows all her facts.

My method for correcting is to have the child read me her answers while I check with the answer key. This also helps emphasize the child's need to write neatly and eligibly so they can read their own answer.

My older would just correct his own by the time he was on 76 and 87.

We correct, record, and they get "math fact candy" dependent on their result.

For my kids the mental math and fact drills were not busywork, they needed the drill and mental exercise. I always respect what Regentrude has to say though. She gives great advice and insight!

But I do think the mental math/warmup box is not just to get your brain ready for the mixed practice set. It is for mastery of the basic facts so that when the child reaches higher level math they are not making arithmetic mistakes. Eventually the sheets will also be drilling fractions and conversions. The mental math also teaches techniques to mentally figure problems. If you skip around though you will miss the instruction.

Yes, I do. But I don't use Saxon as written. Here's how we are using it:

1. We do flash cards {not Saxon based}

2. I have said child do one strip on the division side of the worksheet & one strip on the multiplication strip {he use to be required to do more, but I don't see the need now, thus I have him do one line on each side to keep him fresh}

3. I let him do SOME of the mental math problems aloud.

4. I read the lesson with him.

5. I have him do many of the problems in the lesson orally or on the whtie board, etc.

6. Then I make a worksheet of the remaining problems {or the ones remaining that I want him to do} & he goes about that.

It takes us about 30 minutes all up depending on how diligent he is with his worksheet & how rough the lesson is.