Menu

Have you accepted an international money order?

I just received one as payment for books. Dh was ready to deposit it this morning and he called me to say it has warnings on the back that say the receiver has limited recourse and should only accept from people they know. How do I handle this to make sure I am really getting paid? If we deposit it, can the bank end up later denying the funds?

I've never dealt with one before. Anyone know how to handle them? I'm not sending books until I know the payment is for real.

Personally, I would not accept it. There are a lot of fakes out there, and you won't know until your bank jerks the money back out of your account. If you think it is legit, then call your bank and find out how long it will take to clear.

Well, now I know not to agree to take MOs again. I'll advise Dh to deposit it in our account, find out how long it will take to clear and hold the books until it does. What a pain! And, I feel bad for the buyer if this is indeed legit. Of course, it was her choice to send the MO in the first place.

Are you shipping the books to an international address? If not, I would seriously question why someone would send an international money order if they lived in the USA.

Also -- check with your bank to be sure you won't be charged a bounced check fee if the money order turns out to be phony.

This is turning into quite a mess. There are numerous complaints about Moneygram (the issuer) online. Banks don't want to be bothered and most will not cash them.

I went to the Moneygram site and they list my Walmart as a location that cashes them. I'm on hold b/c they told me they only cash them if they are blank:001_huh:.

That makes no sense. The Moneygram site instructs the person purchasing the MO to fill out all info immediately! I alerted them to that important fact and now I'm waiting for someone to get back on the phone. All for $17 worth of books. NEVER again!

If the Walmart thing doesn't work out and there may be a problem with your bank that could cost you money if the MO is uncashable, maybe you should just email the buyer, cancel the sale, and return their money order to them.

This is way too much trouble to go through for $17.00.

I'm not saying I don't feel sorry for the buyer if she's legitimate, but this whole thing seems odd to me.

If the Walmart thing doesn't work out and there may be a problem with your bank that could cost you money if the MO is uncashable, maybe you should just email the buyer, cancel the sale, and return their money order to them.

This is way too much trouble to go through for $17.00.

I'm not saying I don't feel sorry for the buyer if she's legitimate, but this whole thing seems odd to me.

That is exactly my plan. I hope the seller doesn't give me a bad rating, but I'm just not going to deal with it. Dh is going to call me back and let me know what the bank says.