Menu

Stockmar and other waldorf art supplies

swellmomma

I am so excited that my youngers will be doing waldorf this year. Even if I don't believe in Steiner on everything, I love the art supplies. Today's therapy included shopping online and ordering a tin of block crayons, a tin of stick crayons and a pad of kite paper.

Anyone else love stockmar products? What about other waldorf art supplies? What are your favorites?

LOVE my Lyra Ferby pencils for the littles. Also doing wet-on-wet watercolors on heavy-weight watercolor paper that can be made into other things when they are dry.

Also have really enjoyed making window stars for people out of kite paper.

Mom has taken up needle felting and ekes out a couple projects a year. :D

I love the pencils.

just a heads up --- we have gotten better results from the 3-color Stockmar paints than the 6-color. The palest yellow in the 6-color is impossible for a child to use without muddying -- it is so sensitive to any little impurity brought in from the brush-rinse water. At least 'round here.

A Waldorf fan & friend has had beautiful results with liquid watercolors she bought by the liter at an art store -- they are not "Waldorf" but the results are :). And they are inexpensive enough and blend well, so the children use them often ...

I love waldorfy products!! If you order enough... like large amounts... Mercurious has discounts... So... for next time you can stock up :)

That is good to know. I am hoping to finally get the kids disability backpay next month. I opted to use waldorf next year for ds8 specifically because of his disabilities. So I am planning to do a huge order of the supplies when we get it to have a good stash here. This was so expensive just for 2 small tins of crayons and kite paper that I couldn't buy everything else I wanted for them. I will keep them in mind for that order.

I put in a substantial order with Paper, Scissors, Stone a few weeks ago and when it arrived it was like Christmas! The art supplies cost a small fortune but are so worth it as the quality is amazing.

I've made some peace with Waldorf. We were heavily involved for a few years when my oldest was very young and then the pendulum swung pretty dramatically the other way for me for awhile. I think I've finally found my personal groove. We are using Main Lesson books for our core subjects and exploring Waldorf art techniques this year, hence the justification for our gorgeous art supplies!

We've gotten two years of use out of stockmar paints, block crayons, and stick crayons (one broke but it can be melted and stuck back together). That's with four kids using them! Our ferby short pencils finally got too short so I ordered a set of super ferby regular and metallic for this year. They're a little too long for my little ones to use so I'm planning to get another set of the short length. I think a four year old could handle the long length.

We really like modeling beeswax. The kids hold about 1/3 of a piece in their hands while I tell them a story. Then it's warm enough to work with. When it gets overly used (3-10 times, depending on how long it's played with each time) we use it to decorate candles.

Knitting towers are fun too, it's good for the car and can be put down any time without getting messed up like an art project. I really want to make painting boards this year. I've been looking at the one at palumba for a long time but I can't justify that price for a piece of wood to paint on.

Be sure to stock up on watercolor paper! I wait for a 50% off sale at Michael's, they give the teacher's discount to homeschoolers.

Most places that I've seen that have good prices have high shipping unless you have a large order so if I'm not placing a large order I usually get them off amazon. They're usually a couple dollars more but with shipping come out to be less (plus prime shipping is super fast).

For example:

magic cabin - $14.95+5.99 shipping = $21

palumba - $15.99+6.95 shipping = $23

amazon - $16.80, no shipping assuming prime or super saver with $25+ order

I haven't found any better deals without big orders all at once.

• 2 weeks later...
I put in a substantial order with Paper, Scissors, Stone a few weeks ago and when it arrived it was like Christmas! The art supplies cost a small fortune but are so worth it as the quality is amazing.

I've made some peace with Waldorf. We were heavily involved for a few years when my oldest was very young and then the pendulum swung pretty dramatically the other way for me for awhile. I think I've finally found my personal groove. We are using Main Lesson books for our core subjects and exploring Waldorf art techniques this year, hence the justification for our gorgeous art supplies!

:iagree: we are now more STEM-Waldorf folk. Amazon has good prices on Lyra Waldorf selection Ferbys and Stockmar wax. A Toy Garden has the best prices on beeswax candle kits. Cedar Ring is where I joined recently to do my big birthday/supply shopping. I will say Stockmar crayons and Ferbys last FOREVER. They are still almost perfect 3 years later with 5 kids using them!