Menu

Was Atticus Finch home-educated?

It's one of my favorite novels. I couldn't wait to read it to my son. The movie is wonderful, too, and I will forever associate Atticus with Gregory Peck.

:iagree::iagree: I love that book so much. I read it to my dd this last year and after we read it we watched the movie. Both are so beautiful! :)

my father left when I was 5, only saw him once after that and it was not pretty. Anyway, I discovered the book and the movie and used to think what a great dad Atticus/Gregory Peck would be and that was my view for the perfect dad. When I was little, I used to pretend to myself that Atticus was my dad. After I saw Roman Holiday, I thought "now that would be the perfect guy to have as a boyfriend or husband".

I still read To Kill a Mockingbird about once a year, it is my favorite book.

When I think about it, I'm truly surprised to find that it never was on my radar. I knew it existed, but for some odd reason, it never became one of those *I have to read that* kind of books.

I'm sad that I hadn't discovered it much earlier. It's really odd to think that as amazing as this book is, there are no more by Harper Lee, except for some magazine articles (as I understand). What a great writer! We want more!!

my father left when I was 5, only saw him once after that and it was not pretty. Anyway, I discovered the book and the movie and used to think what a great dad Atticus/Gregory Peck would be and that was my view for the perfect dad. When I was little, I used to pretend to myself that Atticus was my dad. After I saw Roman Holiday, I thought "now that would be the perfect guy to have as a boyfriend or husband".

I still read To Kill a Mockingbird about once a year, it is my favorite book.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

my father left when I was 5, only saw him once after that and it was not pretty. Anyway, I discovered the book and the movie and used to think what a great dad Atticus/Gregory Peck would be and that was my view for the perfect dad. When I was little, I used to pretend to myself that Atticus was my dad.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry I overlooked your post.

I agree with what you've said, and even though I was never in your same situation, I thought the same thing while reading the book. I guess that's why he is such a beloved character and enduring character for all of us.

I still wonder if there was another *great Southern novel* hidden somewhere inside Miss Lee that we'll never have the opportunity to love as we do this one.

When I think about it, I'm truly surprised to find that it never was on my radar. I knew it existed, but for some odd reason, it never became one of those *I have to read that* kind of books.

I'm sad that I hadn't discovered it much earlier. It's really odd to think that as amazing as this book is, there are no more by Harper Lee, except for some magazine articles (as I understand). What a great writer! We want more!!

She was asked many times why she never wrote another book and basically she said that she couldn't do any better than To Kill A Mockingbird and she didn't want to disappoint.

I read To Kill A Mockingbird aloud this summer with my oldest ds. I wanted to share it with him, before he studies it in ps, so that he would love it as much as I did the first time I read it. It was a wonderful experience, and I'm so glad I took the time to do it. I know there are some wonderful English teachers out there, but this is one book I didn't want ruined by a not-so-stellar teacher who's taught it ten times and is just going through the motions.