Menu

QuicK! Is there a way to set oil pastels?

We did the Meet the Masters lesson on Van Gogh, and I don't really want to shove this oil paste of Starry Night into their portfolios because I'm afraid the pastels will rub off on other pieces and ruin them. Is there a way to set them? I tried to do an internet search, but I keep coming up with "oil pastel sets." :glare: That's not exactly what I'm looking for.

my 17 yo artist took a pastel portrait class last summer from a portrait artist who works in oil and pastel. She was adamant that the students not spray their work with fixative when they were done. She said it can change the color of their work. She told a story of one student who ignored the advice and her portrait was ruined by the fixative. A full week of work was destroyed. The teacher put the students' work in protective sleeves when they were finished. I found some here http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/archival-storage/krystal-seal-art-and-photo-bags.htm

Hope this helps.

Mary

my 17 yo artist took a pastel portrait class last summer from a portrait artist who works in oil and pastel. She was adamant that the students not spray their work with fixative when they were done. She said it can change the color of their work. She told a story of one student who ignored the advice and her portrait was ruined by the fixative. A full week of work was destroyed. The teacher put the students' work in protective sleeves when they were finished. I found some here http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/archival-storage/krystal-seal-art-and-photo-bags.htm

Hope this helps.

Mary

:iagree: FWIW, the same thing can happen with come colored pencil work.

Just asked Dd14, my artist. She attended a demonstration lesson with a somewhat famous portrait artist last fall. He used oil pastels and set them with extremely cheap hair spray--value brand from a grocery store. Dd said if its good enough for him that is what she will use. I would use the tissue paper too!