Menu

So what is the benefit of ordering from PHP

I don't know how the whole Amazon.com process works. When publishers sell books to AMazon are they selling at a reduced price? If so, buying from the publisher supports the publisher and author directly. Also, it has seemed to me there is quite a lag time between release of a book and when Amazon has the books in their warehouse to sell. However, if Amazon is shipping in August, that is not that big a difference. I was thinking it would be 6months+.

I'm not upset, but I decided to wait and not order from PHP. I checked the prices at amazon and RR and cringed at the difference. The wait's been agonizing, but I keep reminding myself to be patient. I just can't afford that huge price gap.

Small independent publishers and businesses have to charge more in order to cover their costs. When you order directly from PHP more profits go directly to them. You get the book much faster, too, as it hasn't been released to other sellers yet. So those are the benefits. If you can afford it, it's great to support places like PHP.:001_smile:

I would like to support PHP directly, but don't feel able when I'm nickeling and diming my way through life right now to keep afloat. PHP and other independent business probably feel like their own economic struggle, too, so I'm not miffed about the higher charge. I understand completely, but decide to spend strategically.

I'm sorry about your frustration. It hurts, I know. The money pinch keeps getting tighter.

I don't understand how that works. Doesn't PHP publish the books? Is anyone else upset about this?

Hot Lava Mama

In general, it's a catch 22 for publishers/authors. To make their material more widely available, with the assumption that it will sell more, they offer it to different companies such as Amazon. These companies purchase it at a discounted price.

When you purchase directly through the publisher, however, you are often supporting a small business. This can indirectly benefit you--that money helps support these boards. It allows the publishers to provide representatives at homeschooling conventions. You often get more personalized customer service.

I try to make a happy medium. I cannot afford to make all of my purchases directly. My choice will often depend on what I'm purchasing; if it's just one or two specific items, I might buy directly. If I'm buying several different products, I will buy through a discounted company which also helps me save on shipping.

The main benefit is that you are supporting these boards, SWB and all that she does more by buying it from PHP. They make more money on it that way. I try to buy from them to help support them, kind of like giving them a little thank you gift. However, there have been times that I have bought from Amazon or somewhere else because I really needed to save the money.

Well, for me, getting the books sooner was worth it, because I want to use them starting now, not two months from now.

Amazon gave a "maybe" date, but from my experience with them before, some times they will get the books by that date, and some times not. Actually, in every other case where I have gotten a similar email saying that there is a delay and they might have the book by a certain date, my order ends up being cancelled a month or two later, anyway.

I do like supporting homeschool businesses that I like, when I can.

You would already have your book by now!!!! Like someone else said, I took advantage of the great pre-order price at Amazon....but still as of yet have not seen the books!!! I'm going to give it to the end of this week and if they haven't shipped yet I'll cancel and order from PHP.

Who decides when Amazon gets the books? PHP or another source??:confused:

I am curious about that as well.

Also I know that the people that pre-ordered the book from PHP got their copy first. I wonder how quick you would get a copy by ordering from them now verses waiting for the Amazon one.

Jan

I e-mailed both Amazon and PHP and what I discovered was that if a book retailer orders the book directly from PHP - they would have the book available now. If they ordered the book from the distributer, WW Norton, they wouldn't have it available until August. Amazon ordered from Norton and will not have the book available until August (this was the information I received from Amazon).

I ended up placing an order with a local Christian bookstore that sells homeschool books. They placed an order with PHP and hopefully I should have the book within a week. I did this instead of ordering directly from PHP because I have a large gift card for this particular store.

I e-mailed both Amazon and PHP and what I discovered was that if a book retailer orders the book directly from PHP - they would have the book available now. If they ordered the book from the distributer, WW Norton, they wouldn't have it available until August. Amazon ordered from Norton and will not have the book available until August (this was the information I received from Amazon).

Thanks Laura. That makes sense.

my book yet, and when I called them, they said it was "in line" to be mailed, by nothing has been sent as of yet.

I guess I was really mad at myself because I did not bother to check anywhere else since it was a brand new book. I figured noone else would have it for a while. It really hurts because I still need to buy the writing program for my ds but I don't have the money yet.

Expensive lesson learned!

Hot Lava Mama

Usually, I am a bargain shopper, but I always buy anything I can directly from Peacehill Press. They do make more money when we buy directly from them. I look at it as my small payment for these boards here. I am so thankful to PHP for giving us this place that I will happily pay a little more as a way of saying Thanks to them. Granted, it may be small, but I want to support them any way I can!!

Usually, I am a bargain shopper, but I always buy anything I can directly from Peacehill Press. They do make more money when we buy directly from them. I look at it as my small payment for these boards here. I am so thankful to PHP for giving us this place that I will happily pay a little more as a way of saying Thanks to them. Granted, it may be small, but I want to support them any way I can!!

Good point! I think on those grounds I'll cancel my Amazon order and go through PHP. Plus, we've already started school and I need the materials asap!

I am so thankful to PHP for giving us this place that I will happily pay a little more as a way of saying Thanks to them. Granted, it may be small, but I want to support them any way I can!!

I feel a bit guilty, because I probably started this little storm by starting the other thread on when Amazon would ship WWE. WTMindy and others have a good point, though, and I have certainly received so much support and encouragement from this community in just the short time I've been hanging around here. I think I'll order from PHP as well...

I think the price differences derive from how much profit a reseller wishes to make. Typically, the discount can either come from taking less profit or from ordering in greater bulk from the distributor. The seller then hopes to compensate in volume of sales of an individual item or from even greater sales to the same customer. I can't blame someone for attempting to profit from their work by selling at listed retail. And I hope that they don't blame the budget conscious from having to use discounters or second hand sales. If you want to worry about someone ripping you off (note-here comes pet peeve) take a look at the folks who sell something second hand for more than listed retail.

I've tried to order materials, when the budget allows, directly from publishers such as PHP in order to support their efforts. Sometimes, I need to buy from a discounter. Such is life.