Menu

I need hugs and words of advice/encouragement; oldest going off to college.

Dsd moves into her dorm on Thursday. It's only 2 1/2 hours away (she's going to CMU).

She went home last night to her mom's. That's the last I'll see her. Her mom is taking her up to the dorm for move-in, and didn't invite me, so I don't want to 'horn in' on it.

She's prepared, mature, she's got all the 'stuff' she needs, her financing and classes are all in order.

I'm just going to worry about and miss her a LOT. And my boys are NOT happy about 'sissy' being gone. :(

This girl has definitely given us her share of trouble during her teenage years. But I love her so much. In fact, I want to cry right now.

I'm excited for her, truly. I guess I'm just kind of surprised at how much it's hitting me now. I can't IMAGINE what her mom must feel like. Hunh; maybe I should send her mom a little card or gift or something. That might make me stop concentrating on myself for a while.

Just need a hug, I guess. Or any tidbits of advice or encouragement you want to share.

:grouphug: It's perfectly okay to grieve a change as big as this, so if you need to cry, cry without reservation. People in our lives do not have to be biological in order to be loved intensely. You have had a part in raising her, and you are watching her take that next step. Feeling sad right now is perfectly normal, especially since your family unit and daily routines will be changing. :grouphug:

My friend said, as she looked around her empy older boys room (her 4th left for college last week), "Thank-you God for allowing me to raise these boys." I feel the same way. Once they go "off" to college or wherever, the majority of our influence is over. BUT, we had the sweet privilage of raising these people. :grouphug:to you!

My friend said, as she looked around her empy older boys room (her 4th left for college last week), "Thank-you God for allowing me to raise these boys." I feel the same way. Once they go "off" to college or wherever, the majority of our influence is over. BUT, we had the sweet privilage of raising these people. :grouphug:to you!

Aw, that's sweet. I think part of my sadness is that she doesn't love the Lord, and I hate to think about all the influences on her off at campus.

I know He holds us all in His hands. I guess maybe I should lay this burden back down instead of trying to carry it myself again. :)

:grouphug: It's perfectly okay to grieve a change as big as this, so if you need to cry, cry without reservation. People in our lives do not have to be biological in order to be loved intensely. You have had a part in raising her, and you are watching her take that next step. Feeling sad right now is perfectly normal, especially since your family unit and daily routines will be changing. :grouphug:

Thank you for saying this. I don't have any IRL friends with kids going off to college yet; dh was just 17 when she was born, so most of our friend's kids are younger, you know?

:grouphug: Be proud she's doing this. It's a wonderful decision and hopefully the experience will be fantastic for her.

You're right. While she didn't make the decision about college that dh and I wanted her to, she didn't exactly make a horrible one, either. At least she's going; she has a direction to her life, unlike lots of other kids her age.

Can you send her a box of stuff at college? That also says "I love you and I miss you"

She gave me her mailing address. And I'm so silly, I know I'll probably see her again in just two weeks over Labor Day weekend. :tongue_smilie: But I do plan on mailing her things. I think that will help my boys with the transition, too.

:iagree: and. :grouphug: