Menu

yellow jacket nest

I was trimming some bushes that have really grown wild and I was stung. I got away and saw the swarm around the bushes from stirring up the nest. I called DH and he said he'll spray the bushes with Raid and I should be able to finish the project next weekend. Is that true? If he's so sure, shouldn't he finish it? LOL (don't answer that!) But I'm wondering if we need to do something else to get rid of those mean things?

And the stings still hurt. :glare: Believe it or not this is the first time I have ever been stung by anything!

If they were yellow jackets, then spraying the ones that were out will not do the job. Chances are that there are many more either in a nest in the ground or somewhere in the area near the bush. The only way to make sure that they are gone is to find the nest and treat it. Yellow jackets feed on and nest around wood and roots. The nest that we had to treat last year was fairly large and was in the ground at the back corner of our house. If you can find the nest, wait until dark and pour bleach into the nest (if it's in the ground). That worked for us, although it took about 3/4 gallon of bleach and 2 treatments to make sure they were all dead. Good Luck!

If they were yellow jackets, then spraying the ones that were out will not do the job. Chances are that there are many more either in a nest in the ground or somewhere in the area near the bush. The only way to make sure that they are gone is to find the nest and treat it. Yellow jackets feed on and nest around wood and roots. The nest that we had to treat last year was fairly large and was in the ground at the back corner of our house. If you can find the nest, wait until dark and pour bleach into the nest (if it's in the ground). That worked for us, although it took about 3/4 gallon of bleach and 2 treatments to make sure they were all dead. Good Luck!

I saw one of them as it stung me so I know it is a yellow jacket. That would make sense then that they chose this area. The last owners didn't trim the bushes at all and they are very woody from undergrowth and the ground is covered with leaves under the bushes. I have an idea of where it might be but we would have to clear more out to know for sure. I'm not sure what to do because I'm not going to even attempt to clear that out as I might stir them up again!

I had a nest near the base of a young tree in our yard. I didn't want to pour anything on the nest that might kill the tree and a local beekeeper suggested putting a tarp over the entry hole for 3-4 days. It worked and we haven't had any issues since! Just be careful while putting the tarp out!!