Menu

Chicago with kids - Must see what?

The Field Museum is wonderful. We spent a whole day, and we could have spent longer. Kids loved the water taxis and the hop on, hop off bus. They liked the planetarium. The aquarium was too crowded for us although that may have been a fluke. We went to the top of the John Hancock Tower which was a hit.

Adler Planetarium is fun. The Field Museum is HUGE, but has some neat exhibits. I still want to see the Shedd, we didn't get to the last time we were there, and I still want to do Hancock Observatory.

I don't know which way you are going on your pass through, but the Burpee Museum in Rockford, IL is nice. It's a much smaller scale than Field, but it still has interesting exhibits.

I agree that the Field Museum is wonderful! We never get tired of it and we've been a dozen times I bet. Be sure to compare the annual membership pass with the individual prices because it might be cheaper to get the pass if you have 7 kids with you. It was cheaper for us with 4 kids.

My kids also love the Science and Industry Museum-more hands on stuff, more interactive, and there is a HUGE model train display that my son could watch all day if I let him.

You could easily spend 6 hours at each of the above.

The aquarium gets really packed and is really expensive IMO. You have to buy the general admission for the main floor but the bigger tanks with sharks and jellies, etc are all in another area and more money. I hate that.

If you have a girl that is into American Girl then you need to stop at the AG store-even I love that place as an adult! An there is a lego store right next door for the boys ;)

DD and I went in April and the Bean (sculpture) was one of our highlights! I know it seems crazy to be so carried away by a big silver blob but we truly loved it! We almost skipped it because it was quite a hike, but we were so glad we went! I promise it is worth it!

We also loved the John Hancock tower and the Art Institute. The miniature rooms at the Art Institute were completely amazing! DD could have stayed in there all afternoon. It was also fun to see some "real" art and she was more interested in the ancient stuff than I would have expected.

And of course the whole point of our trip was the AG store and it lived up to expectations for sure!

Oh, and it was fun to stand in a line outside the door of Garrett's Popcorn (it was good by the way!) and to eat a sundae at Ghiradelli at 10:00 pm!

We obviously had a ball and are big Chicago lovers now! Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My parents live near milwaukee, so not too far from Chicago. Two summers ago we were there for a visit and took the kids to Shedd. I honestly don't think it's worth the cost and wasn't all that impressed. It was a pain to get to parking. Of course the whole experience was tainted by the fact that it was pouring down rain and the way they do admissions meant we had to stand inline outside for about 40 minutes getting soaked (I would have left, but the boys really wanted to see it and dd wanted to go to the AG store later) they only have a small awning outside that stretches about 4ft wide across the huge staircase thus making it so you have to stand in a long line because they only open a couple of the doors and they will only let so many people in at a time.

I do remember my parents taking my brother and I to the Science and Industry museum when we were about 8 and 11 and it was Awesome! I should have taken my kids there.

Just took 15 yr. old exchange student to Chicago, and can't wait to go back with my boys.

Field Museum = hours of amazing science

Shedd Aquarium = very cool exhibits

Navy Pier = lots of fun kid activities, plus awesome stain glass exhibit.

Millenium Park = playing in the splash fountain with the faces and making goofy faces in The Bean were favorite activities