Menu

Is Art of Argument okay if we are secular homeschoolers?

yes, that is the one I bought. It is totally secular. We did philosophy for kids concurrently, but only 1/2 the book. We will do the second half of the book with Discovery of Deduction this year (which is not totally secular as it always has uses an example from the bible in addition to 2 other literary sources, not a huge problem but definitely there.)

Is the teacher's manual worthwhile?

What were the objectionable parts?

I only bought the teacher's manual, and just covered up the answers as we read through it. The back has great tests that I just photocopied so he could write on them.

I never owned the first edition, but apparently it had some outdated stuff like Monica Lewinsky and also quite a bit on abortion. If I remember correctly, Spycar had the first edition and did not like it at all.

2010 edition is absolutely wonderful.

Great. Those decisions are made. Now I need help with science. Ruth, I need your help. ;)

Let's do a swap. You can help me with writing!:D

What's the publication date of the edition you mean? There doesn't appear to be a difference in the covers. Is it only the 2010, or any of the earlier ones as well?
mine is 2010

also quite a bit on abortion.

2010 edition is absolutely wonderful.

Yes, a 2008 reviewer was lauding that.

Of course, after I read the thread I remembered I already had this book, and that it is deep in my pile of "to reads" next to my bed, right under some W. W. Sawyer and The History of Western Philosophy! :lol:

Wow, how often is a book secularized?

I used it and we are secular homeschoolers. I will say that I did find some of the passages to be of a more conservative bent. Wasn't a bad thing since they were demonstrating concepts and not trying to sway anyone. Just something that I noticed. (On occasion, we did have to talk about the topic a bit more in depth)